Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 4,511 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

apsc's Posts

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
I have an opportunity to get an unlocked TMO Samsung Galaxy S9 for a song and dance and wondering if it would be compatible with the VZW network. Thanks.
Definitely some pros and cons (or things to get used to). Pros: Love the interface; feels a bit lighter Phone app finally gets split screen Reply to SMS from notifications panel is nice ... See more...
Definitely some pros and cons (or things to get used to). Pros: Love the interface; feels a bit lighter Phone app finally gets split screen Reply to SMS from notifications panel is nice better utilization of Doze mode Blue light filter - i think. Haven't played much with it yet, but looks like a good concept. Cons: Long press for symbols does seem to take longer some of the auto-complete words seem to have changed. I've been suddenly getting Beijing instead of "being." Weird. Longer route to get to recent calls while you're on a call No more low power mode (although it is supposed to be more efficient); haven't determined if battery life has improved at all. Haven't noticed the issue you see with the text messaging app.
CLIFUL97 wrote: I understand that it needs to be tested. The funny thing about this that Sprint has already released it to the Samsung S6 and the S6bEdge. I have coworkers and parents wit... See more...
CLIFUL97 wrote: I understand that it needs to be tested. The funny thing about this that Sprint has already released it to the Samsung S6 and the S6bEdge. I have coworkers and parents with those from Sprint and they have had it a month. As long as I have been a customer with and seen this in the past, it is a hold to make the customer upgrade to another phone to run the update. This isn't acceptable for as much as we pay. Get it tested and released or there will be another customer who will move to Sprint! That can't possibly be true. Sprint only just released Nougat for the Note 5 and S6 Edge + on April 6, and no mention in their software release logs of Nougat for the S6 as of yet. Perhaps they're confusing the recent patches and minor updates (e.g., some camera features, Google Assistant, etc.) as Nougat. But we also have that for our Verizon GS6 devices. As far as I know, no US carrier currently has Nougat available for the GS6 or GS6E. Only variant with Nougat so far is Sprint GS6E+.
What I think you're not taking into consideration is that the primary hold-up has been with Samsung, not the carriers. It was only recently that Samsung released Nougat for the S6/S6E. From there... See more...
What I think you're not taking into consideration is that the primary hold-up has been with Samsung, not the carriers. It was only recently that Samsung released Nougat for the S6/S6E. From there, the carriers still need to go through and configure/customize for their handsets. But it makes sense from a business perspective to focus on the newer devices first before compatibility for older devices. That's the nature of the beast. If you want a nougat device now, you need to go buy a new device. If you want it on your older device, you gotta wait for it.
I'd give it at least another month, if not longer. Samsung just started rolling it out in Europe on March 9 or so. The typical process is that Samsung completes the config for a region, then hand... See more...
I'd give it at least another month, if not longer. Samsung just started rolling it out in Europe on March 9 or so. The typical process is that Samsung completes the config for a region, then hands it over to the carriers to do their updates, testing, etc. before they are rolled out. It's possible that it's already in carrier testing in the US, but that takes time. I'm guessing mid-April rollout on VZW.
As a point of reference, my GS6 has always gotten worse reception than my wife's iPhone 6s, also on Verizon. We'll be in a store - she'll have 4 bars, I'll have 1. At home, she gets 4 bars, I get... See more...
As a point of reference, my GS6 has always gotten worse reception than my wife's iPhone 6s, also on Verizon. We'll be in a store - she'll have 4 bars, I'll have 1. At home, she gets 4 bars, I get 1. At church, she gets 2-3 bars, I get none.  Lately, reception seems worse. At the office, reception will just drop. Just now, I looked down at my phone and saw no reception at all - no cellular, no data. Restarted and back up to two bars 4G, but I've missed a lot of phone calls recently b/c of my temperamental device. I really am not used to Apple, so I may be looking at getting the S8 when it comes out next year. I would look at other devices, but my employer limits the mobile devices which can connect to our network (for most people, Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung only). Also - my wife's Apple has better battery life than my Samsung. That kills me.
Indeed, there was a brief mention of wifi calling back in September 2014, along with some spin that VZW doesn't actually need it b/c of the strength of their network, while other carriers do need... See more...
Indeed, there was a brief mention of wifi calling back in September 2014, along with some spin that VZW doesn't actually need it b/c of the strength of their network, while other carriers do need it b/c of their crappy networks (not in so many words). I saw speculation on this board that it will probably be released in July/August and bundled as part of Advanced Calling 2.0. I think you and the phone rep probably just misunderstood each other, the phone rep b/c wifi calling does not actually exist yet. Note that Advanced Calling 1.0 includes HD Calling (which also only works if BOTH parties have HD Calling-capable phones and have the feature activated - which is not a big deal to me), video calls whereby you can basically do the equivalent of Facetime or Skype natively on your VZW device, and voice over LTE (VoLTE) which lets you talk and use data at the same time (basically, it's like a VOIP call over the internet, so you're just using data and not locking down your phone by using the cellular network).