Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 8,127 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

Terrys_Customer-Chand's Posts

Greatly appreciate your response.   I do not believe that having an opinion different than mine equates to unethical behavior. Unfortunately, I am the only person on this e-mail string that wa... See more...
Greatly appreciate your response.   I do not believe that having an opinion different than mine equates to unethical behavior. Unfortunately, I am the only person on this e-mail string that was present at the meeting with the verizon rep.   Whether you choose to believe that the verizon rep lacked ethics in this transaction is up to you....I would not be writing this if I did not feel that way, not expecting you to send me a check, just hoping to warn others and possibly find a remedy I had not thought of. I normally do research my contracts.   I have entered into a lot of phone contracts over the years.   This is the first time I have felt cheated.   I did not think that cheap little device would cost me so much and provide so little benefit.  The issue of the contract being overly compensatory for Verizon is clear.   Whether I can get a remedy at this time is a question
"There is no such thing as ethical/unethical in business" -  is that from the Verizon web page? I do not always have the time or resources to research every purchase decision.   Historically, ... See more...
"There is no such thing as ethical/unethical in business" -  is that from the Verizon web page? I do not always have the time or resources to research every purchase decision.   Historically, I have found success in working with organizations and people that I can trust.   I mistakenly included Verizon in this category.  General feedback from above is that I was a fool to believe the Verizon sales person and to put any faith in Verizon.  But I would suggest there are ethical sales people, and we should all seek to promote the success of those who believe in business ethics, and challenge the success of those who seek to profit on the misfortunes of others.   As for me, I will continue to seek remedies for challenge Verizon's efforts to enforce an overly compensatory and unfair contract.   Would be interested in any input from people who believe in business ethics
I am not sure what saddens me more, that Verizon sales people lack ethics, that Verizon lacks expectations of ethical behavior in it sales people, or that there appears to be a significant number... See more...
I am not sure what saddens me more, that Verizon sales people lack ethics, that Verizon lacks expectations of ethical behavior in it sales people, or that there appears to be a significant number of people that believe lack of ethical behavior in sales is acceptable. Clarifying the points several of you challenge:   the cancellation charges are clearly over-compensatory in that Verizon has no invested costs into this contract - the device verizon provided me was reconditioned, not new.  Its market value at time of transaction was substantially less than $50....much less than the $145 cancellation charge.  Customer received no benefit from this contract.   I have received no benefit from this device. Contract was initiated in a manner that was deceptive, ...strongly suggestive of unethical practices by Verizon-  The responses above do not challenge this comment, they just reflect a lack of expectation of ethical behavior by Verizon as being acceptable.   The most successful sales people are highly ethical and succeed by referral.   Bottom line, Verizon has suffered no damages or costs by this contract, and is seeking to extract $145 or $20/month for 2 years because I mistakenly listened to and trusted their sales person.   I agree I was fooled, shame on me.   Is there anyone who believes that Verizon sales people should adhere to ethical behavior that would care to respond?   Accepting unethical behavior as a standard business practice degrades us all 
Appreciate the responses, would like to clarify a couple points: This was my first "smart phone" with hotspot capability.  I "inherited" the phone, and took it to Verizon to get it set up.  Whil... See more...
Appreciate the responses, would like to clarify a couple points: This was my first "smart phone" with hotspot capability.  I "inherited" the phone, and took it to Verizon to get it set up.  While the phone was being set up, I asked the Verizon sales agent how I might connect my IPAD to Verizon.  An ethical sales agent would have suggested using the hotspot feature.  This sales agent was either ignorant or unethical.     Please note and review the definition of unconscionable and your own definition of fair: I would suggest that by either definition, the cancellation charges are clearly over-compensatory in that Verizon has no costs invested into this contract I received no benefit from this contract Contract was initiated in a manner that was deceptive and strongly suggestive of unethical - if not illegal - practices by Verizon to create new customer accounts, regardless of benefit to customer You may choose to excuse the Verizon rep for criminal liability, but you can not excuse Verizon for unethical or exceptionally ignorant behavior, unless you are suggesting that a first time user of smart phones is expected to have greater knowledge than a Verizon sales rep. Still looking for a recommendation.  
I recently got my first smart phone with Verizon, stopped by to get the phone set up.   Asked if there were ways to put my IPAD on Verizon.   Rather than tell me the S3 had hot spot capabilities,... See more...
I recently got my first smart phone with Verizon, stopped by to get the phone set up.   Asked if there were ways to put my IPAD on Verizon.   Rather than tell me the S3 had hot spot capabilities, the Verizon suggested a mobile hotspot.   HUGE Mistake.   The mobile hotspot offers no benefit over using the S3 hotspot (which is free), costs $20/month, and charges a $145 cancellation fee.   The device they provided was a reconditioned device, maybe worth $20.   Called customer support (Terry in Chandler AZ), was told there was no way out of the contract.   Very frustrated Verizon has no invested costs into this contract I  received no benefit from this contract Contract was initiated in a manner that was deceptive, uninformed at best, and strongly suggestive of unethical practices by Verizon to create new customer accounts, regardless of benefit to customer I am not a lawyer, but per Wikipedia, that meets the definition of an unconscionable contract Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get out of this contract?   (outside of contacting the BBB and Atty General)