Centro de recursos de accesibilidad Salta al contenido principal
Obtenlo rápido al recogerlo dentro o fuera de la tienda o con entrega el mismo día.
I finally figured it out. The red “locked” groups are preset for contacts entered directly into the phone. I was a matter of just turning these groups off in the settings and turning on the gro... Ver más...
I finally figured it out. The red "locked" groups are preset for contacts entered directly into the phone. I was a matter of just turning these groups off in the settings and turning on the groups that I had created in Google. All is well and working now.
  sunshine1180 wrote: I have assigned specific ringtones for specific contacts and recently when that person calls me, the specified ringtone is not working, instead my default ringtone for ... Ver más...
 sunshine1180 wrote: I have assigned specific ringtones for specific contacts and recently when that person calls me, the specified ringtone is not working, instead my default ringtone for people I don't know rings. I've gone in and re-assigned the ringtones, but it still isn't working.  Please if you know what to do, help me fix this!  Thanks! I found that the Task Manager by Rhythm Software was responsible for causing this problem.  I removed the Task Manager and restarted my phone, and now I do not have a problem with assigned ringtones.  
This issue was resolved after I installed the Froyo 2.2 upgrade.  Now, all my calendar colors are as they should be!
  gratfuldead69 wrote: Does anyone else have this problem? All the downloaded ringtones wind up in my "music" file not in the default ringtone list. When I go into the music file and find th... Ver más...
 gratfuldead69 wrote: Does anyone else have this problem? All the downloaded ringtones wind up in my "music" file not in the default ringtone list. When I go into the music file and find the tone and say attach to contact, it says it did but when they call only the default ringer works. Also when you go into the contacts link it does shows the name of the ringtone I chose, but it is not in the list and nev  I had the same problem.  I even returned my phone and got a new one because we thought it was the phone.  VZW even placed a call to HTC with me on the line, and they had not heard of the issue either and suggested either repairing or replacing the phone.  What it turned out to be was an app killer I had installed on the phone.  I forget which one, but its icon is the little green android figure with the red X next to it.  Once I uninstalled the app killer, removed the battery from my phone and then rebooted it, I have had no further problems with my ring tones not working.  In the end, I bought the extended battery (3150) from www.seidioonline.com and now do not even need an app killer.  Hope this helps ...
  jakep wrote: My company requires that an "non-optional" screen password be put in place to link up to company email. Can anyone tell  me if the Incredible does this? (if it helps explain i... Ver más...
 jakep wrote: My company requires that an "non-optional" screen password be put in place to link up to company email. Can anyone tell  me if the Incredible does this? (if it helps explain it any, the iphone has this system and the windows mobile phones do as well)  The Exchange client that comes on the incredible does this.  When I first connected to our exchange server, I was required to enter a password.  Each time you wake your Incredible up, you will have to enter this password (even to answer the phone if it's ringing) ... not just when you want to check your exchange email.  This got to be too much of a hassle for me.  I no longer check my exchange email on my phone.  You can get an app in the MarketPlace called "lockpicker" that bypasses this password completely ... but, your company may object to this.
Actually, this is the unlock password that you are forced to set up when you connect your phone to an Exchange server.  I found this out by doing some additional research on the web.  The solutio... Ver más...
Actually, this is the unlock password that you are forced to set up when you connect your phone to an Exchange server.  I found this out by doing some additional research on the web.  The solution turns out to be an app that you can download called "lockpicker."