Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 6,108 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

StreetDocRN's Correct Answers

Hey,   That is a great question to ask, as open applications eat away at available memory.  From within each application, make sure you use the "close" or "exit" option to exit an application. ... See more...
Hey,   That is a great question to ask, as open applications eat away at available memory.  From within each application, make sure you use the "close" or "exit" option to exit an application.  By default, there will be about 5 apps running in the background on all Blackberry devices.  They would be messages, phone, browser, Blackberry Messenger (if installed), and home.  To answer another part of your question, prevention of running a battery down quickly, I have a couple of things.  Turn off WiFi and Bluetooth when not in use.  Closing those two things will save a lot on battery.  Hope this helps,   Doc  
Hi,   When the problem you describe occurs, it is usually because of a recent application that was installed to your device.  You will need to reload your device's software.  You have what is r... See more...
Hi,   When the problem you describe occurs, it is usually because of a recent application that was installed to your device.  You will need to reload your device's software.  You have what is referred to as a "bricked" or "nuked" device.  Follow the instructions found at Crackberry.com at http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-lecture-12-how-reload-operating-system-nuked-blackberry and you should get going again.   Doc  
Hi, I had a hard time following you, however, to delete a contact list, here is what you do. Open your contacts on your Blackberry. Press the menu key(the button to the left of the track ball or ... See more...
Hi, I had a hard time following you, however, to delete a contact list, here is what you do. Open your contacts on your Blackberry. Press the menu key(the button to the left of the track ball or track pad). Select options from the menu list. Type the word rset and you will have the option to delete a contact list. Note, you must type rset and not the word reset. Hope that helps. Doc
Hi, The CD has the software (VZAccess Manager) which can be installed on your computer for using your Blackberry as a modem to access the internet. That is called tethering. There is a monthly ch... See more...
Hi, The CD has the software (VZAccess Manager) which can be installed on your computer for using your Blackberry as a modem to access the internet. That is called tethering. There is a monthly charge for tethering. You can call customer service at *611 from your device for more info. Hope this helps. Doc
Hi, all,   I just wanted to update this thread on the status of my device since loading the latest OS 6 v 6.0.0.524 a couple of days ago.  The install was flawless and my device is running smoo... See more...
Hi, all,   I just wanted to update this thread on the status of my device since loading the latest OS 6 v 6.0.0.524 a couple of days ago.  The install was flawless and my device is running smoothly.  I believe the random reboots are a thing of the past.   First, if you have waited to upgrade your Bold's software, go ahead and do so.  This is a very stable software release.  The reboots never occurred and a breath of fresh air was breathed into my device.  It runs smoothly and snappier since the upgrade.  I maintain a constant 3G signal with no dropped calls.  The native browser works nicely, however, I do use the latest Opera Mini Version 6 Update 1 on my Bold.  I prefer the Opera Mini browser just because it loads pages faster.  Other features include an updated calendar and of course the new OS 6 interface.  I realize some of you may not care for the OS 6 interface and prefer the old OS 5, so to you I say, stay with what works for you.  My battery drain is minimal, no more than with the last OS 5 software release.  As a matter of fact, I went to work last night with a fully charged device and came home with about 75% remaining on my battery.  I did not make many calls last night, but I did answer a few emails and surfed the web a bit.    In summary, I am going to mark this thread as having a solution found.  I firmly believe the first OS 6 release from Verizon had a poorly written radio file, thus causing my device to lose connectivity with the network and causing the random reboots.  This was resolved with the .524 OS release.  I hope this thread helps some of you who had the same problems.  Thanks.     Doc  
Hi,   You might want to take a look at Crackberry.com's Blackberry 101 Lecture series.  They have an article on how to fix a Blackberry with software that did not load correctly.  See the page ... See more...
Hi,   You might want to take a look at Crackberry.com's Blackberry 101 Lecture series.  They have an article on how to fix a Blackberry with software that did not load correctly.  See the page at this page.  Hope this helps,   Doc  
kmkorey wrote: Is this available on Verizon for the Curve 8330. I got an e-mail from BB saying 5.0 was available for my device but I can't seem to get it to upgrade.   Any help would be app... See more...
kmkorey wrote: Is this available on Verizon for the Curve 8330. I got an e-mail from BB saying 5.0 was available for my device but I can't seem to get it to upgrade.   Any help would be appreciated.   K Hi,   The latest OS (operating system) for the Blackberry 8330 is 4.5, which can be found at the software download page at http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/  I do not think the 8330 has enough memory to support an OS 5 software update.  There are a lot of unsupported OS files out on the internet, but it would make your device run very sluggish due to memory problems.  I always recommend staying with official OS releases as they are tested by Verizon specifically for your device and contain specific data made just for your model.  Hope this helps.   Doc  
Hi,   Just to update, I received an answer from someone at Verizon Wireless.  It was the usual "try a reboot, battery pull" response.  They also replied that there is no "known" issue with the ... See more...
Hi,   Just to update, I received an answer from someone at Verizon Wireless.  It was the usual "try a reboot, battery pull" response.  They also replied that there is no "known" issue with the OS 6 software.  I half-expected a response like this, but will keep trying to get a response that will give some sort of satisfaction to the affected users.    Doc  
Hi,   The best way to block numbers from your device is to use the block feature in My Verizon.  Look at the link at the very top of this web page for My Verizon to log in.  You must be the acc... See more...
Hi,   The best way to block numbers from your device is to use the block feature in My Verizon.  Look at the link at the very top of this web page for My Verizon to log in.  You must be the account holder to use the feature.   Doc  
Shynexo wrote: I have a quick question about the wifi... when your on the phone with someone and you have your wifi enabled you can recieve BBMS..... would verizon charge you for having your ... See more...
Shynexo wrote: I have a quick question about the wifi... when your on the phone with someone and you have your wifi enabled you can recieve BBMS..... would verizon charge you for having your wifi on while the mobile network is on? sorry if I confused anyone    Hi,   You are right, your question is not very clear.  However, I will try to explain data charges from Verizon.  You can have WiFi enabled and Mobile Network enabled at the same time.  Verizon charges you a flat $29.99 per month for data.  You can receive messages via Blackberry Messenger with either connection.  It does not matter, you are charged one flat fee for all data.  I often have my WiFi enabled while at home to enjoy the speed of my home WiFi, while at the same time I have Mobile Network on so that I may receive telephone calls.  If Mobile Network in disabled, you are not connected to the Verizon network and therefore will not receive calls or data through that connection.  If you had only WiFi enabled, you would still receive instant messages via BBM and others and internet via the browser.  Hope this helps you understand better your choices.   Doc  
Hi,   For more on how to update your software, see Verizon's page at http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5333 and you will find instructions.   Doc  
walli wrote: I have upgrade BB 9650 from OS 6 by accident when I using BB desktop manger.  How can I restore OS 5 ? Hi, You can downgrade back to OS 5 with Blackberry Desktop Software.... See more...
walli wrote: I have upgrade BB 9650 from OS 6 by accident when I using BB desktop manger.  How can I restore OS 5 ? Hi, You can downgrade back to OS 5 with Blackberry Desktop Software.  Here are the instructions:   How to Downgrade Your Blackberry OS 1. Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM) installed on your computer. You can download it for free at http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/ for PC or Mac. 2. Download the OS you wish to downgrade to and install that file on your computer. It will integrate with BDM. 3. Backup your contacts, settings, and personal files on your Blackberry with BDM. This will save you from losing your contact list and other personal information. 4. To begin the downgrade process, start BDM with your Blackberry attached to your computer via the supplied cable. 5. Once BDM has started and you are at the main screen, click on Application Loader and then Update Software. 6. After the BDM reads information from your Blackberry, you will be presented with a list of available updates. Select the version you wish to install by checking the box next to the version and click Next. 7. After the BDM reads your device, the process will start. Once started, follow the prompts and do not unplug your device or the installation will become corrupted. The process will take 25-30 minutes to complete. When the installation is complete, you will receive a message from BDM stating so. 8. You may have to reinstall some programs such as Blackberry App World, special themes, or games you purchased. If you backed up your device, you can now allow BDM to restore your files. 9. To restore files and settings, go to the main screen on BDM and select Backup and Restore and then select Restore. 10. You will be prompted for the backup file from earlier, which by default has the date in the name of the file. Once completed you will be shown a message stating it is complete.   Hope this helps, Doc
Hi, If you are needing to reinstall an app from Verizon Wireless such as VZNavigator, it is easy.  On your device, open the browser and go to mobile.vzw.com.  Hope this is what you need. Do... See more...
Hi, If you are needing to reinstall an app from Verizon Wireless such as VZNavigator, it is easy.  On your device, open the browser and go to mobile.vzw.com.  Hope this is what you need. Doc
Hi, To set a custom ringtone for a particular contact, open the Contacts app on your device.  Scroll to the contact you want to assign the custom ring tone.  Press the Menu key (to the left of... See more...
Hi, To set a custom ringtone for a particular contact, open the Contacts app on your device.  Scroll to the contact you want to assign the custom ring tone.  Press the Menu key (to the left of the trackpad) and select Edit.  Scroll down to the section Custom Ring Tones/Alerts.  Click on Phone and you will be at a place where you can select your Ring Tone for this particular contact.  Once you have selected the ringtone you desire, press the Menu key and save.  Press the Escape key (to the right of the trackpad) and save again.  That should do the trick.  You will have to manually edit each contact you want to assign a custom ring tone in your contact list.  Hope this helps. Doc
Hi, Just adding to what Sydney posted here.  I believe a picture is worth a thousand words.  So here is a video explaining sound profiles.  Hope this helps, Doc    
Hey, If you have never downgraded a Blackberry before, it is not a problem.  It just takes a little time.  Just make sure you have about an hour to perform the task.  The instructions are as f... See more...
Hey, If you have never downgraded a Blackberry before, it is not a problem.  It just takes a little time.  Just make sure you have about an hour to perform the task.  The instructions are as follows: How to Downgrade Your Blackberry OS 1. Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM) installed on your computer. You can download it for free at http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/ for PC or Mac. 2. Download the OS you wish to downgrade to and install that file on your computer. It will integrate with BDM.  You can download the file from Verizon at http://appstore.vzw.com.edgesuite.net/download/firmware/BB9650MR2/9650_512cmpttAMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel1600_PL4.2.0.424_A5.0.0.975.exe  to your computer.  3. Backup your contacts, settings, and personal files on your Blackberry with BDM. This will save you from losing your contact list and other personal information. 4. To begin the downgrade process, start BDM with your Blackberry attached to your computer via the supplied cable. 5. Once BDM has started and you are at the main screen, click on Application Loader and then Update Software. 6. After the BDM reads information from your Blackberry, you will be presented with a list of available updates. Select the version you wish to install by checking the box next to the version and click Next. 7. After the BDM reads your device, the process will start. Once started, follow the prompts and do not unplug your device or the installation will become corrupted. The process will take 25-30 minutes to complete. When the installation is complete, you will receive a message from BDM stating so. 8. You may have to reinstall some programs such as Blackberry App World, special themes, or games you purchased. If you backed up your device, you can now allow BDM to restore your files. 9. To restore files and settings, go to the main screen on BDM and select Backup and Restore and then select Restore. 10. You will be prompted for the backup file from earlier, which by default has the date in the name of the file. Once completed you will be shown a message stating it is complete.   It is important to not unplug your device during the process, or the downgrade will be corrupted.  I hope this helps. Doc  
Hi, If you updated your device's software with the Blackberry Desktop Software, it should have saved a copy of your contacts in a default backup it performs during the initial installation.  L... See more...
Hi, If you updated your device's software with the Blackberry Desktop Software, it should have saved a copy of your contacts in a default backup it performs during the initial installation.  Look in your My Documents folder and see if there is a file named Backupxxxx.ipd.  The file with the .ipd extension is the backup and if you have it on your computer, then you are in luck.  All you need to do is to use the Blackberry Desktop Software to restore your previous settings and your contacts will be restored.  If you unplugged your phone during the installation proceedure, then chances are the software did not get installed properly on your Bold.  If you are having problems with your device, then you might want to reinstall either the latest OS 6 software or downgrade back to the OS 5 operating system for your device.  The installation time for upgrading your device's software can vary, but usually takes about 35 to 45 minutes.  If you have problems, you can go to a Verizon store, not one of the kiosks, but one of the corporate stores and they will load the OS for you to get your device up and running, if it is not running properly.  Hope this helps, Doc  
Hi, In order to export your contacts from a Blackberry device to a csv file, you would have to use a program such as Outlook or Outlook Express.  If you don't have Outlook, you can download a ... See more...
Hi, In order to export your contacts from a Blackberry device to a csv file, you would have to use a program such as Outlook or Outlook Express.  If you don't have Outlook, you can download a free 60 day copy of Office 2010 from Microsoft.  That should do the trick for you.  First, save your contacts with Blackberry Desktop Software into Outlook.  Then, from Outlook, export your contacts into a csv file.  From there, you should be able to use iTunes to import the csv file and set up your contacts.  Hope this helps. Doc
Hi, Ever since RIM sent out the OS 6 upgrade, the MMS feature is integraded with the SMS.  In other words, when you go into the messages folder and press the menu key and look, you only see SM... See more...
Hi, Ever since RIM sent out the OS 6 upgrade, the MMS feature is integraded with the SMS.  In other words, when you go into the messages folder and press the menu key and look, you only see SMS listed along with email and PIN.  To send a MMS message in OS 6, just select SMS and attach the picture or video and it will send as a MMS message.  The OS 6 will change the SMS to MMS automatically.  I wish they would put the MMS selection back into the menu, but it will send MMS if you select SMS and attach a file.  Hope this helps, Doc Ps, if you do want to downgrade back to OS 5, go to Crackberry.com and look at their tutorials for downgrading.  It is easy, but takes a little time.   
Hi, Alvy, First, welcome to the Verizon forums.  The new OS 6 does not state MMS, but if you create a SMS and attach a video or picture file, it will automatically change it to a MMS and the p... See more...
Hi, Alvy, First, welcome to the Verizon forums.  The new OS 6 does not state MMS, but if you create a SMS and attach a video or picture file, it will automatically change it to a MMS and the phone will send it as such.  Give it a try and it will work. Doc