Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 6,838 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

John_Getzke's Correct Answers

The last time a firmware update was available someone posted a link to download the files directly from the source.  When the new update becomes available I'm sure someone will post the new link ... See more...
The last time a firmware update was available someone posted a link to download the files directly from the source.  When the new update becomes available I'm sure someone will post the new link too.  That way you can download the firmware update files to your computer from an alternative internet connection and then install them through your USB cable.    If you are still having problems downloading or installing the update then you can always bring your MiFi into a Verizon store.  A Verizon rep should be able to perform the firmware update for you with one of thier computers.  The last firmware update took about 10 minutes to complete.    
Gary,   Non-Internet traffic is not metered and will not count against you.  Go ahead and stream between two local computers all you want.  The MiFi\Mobile Hotspot devices will perform like a n... See more...
Gary,   Non-Internet traffic is not metered and will not count against you.  Go ahead and stream between two local computers all you want.  The MiFi\Mobile Hotspot devices will perform like a normal router in the situation that you described.  The only thing that Verizon watches and charges you for is the 3G and 4G connection.
Bill,   Wilson Electronics offers a wide variety of boosters depending on your needs.  Assuming you have already done the research, the 4G LTE 700 (801865) should perform how you expect it to. ... See more...
Bill,   Wilson Electronics offers a wide variety of boosters depending on your needs.  Assuming you have already done the research, the 4G LTE 700 (801865) should perform how you expect it to.   You can always contact Wilson directly on thier 1-800 number if you would like more information or specs on thier other products.  I have found them to be helpful when researching 3Watt antennas and booster kits for cars in the past.  They could also suggest alternative products if the one you selected here is not ideal for your enviornment.    The only problem with Wilson is that finding a store can be a little tricky.  Even if you find a store they do not always have the product that you want in stock.   If you want to preview the product before you buy it then I suggest contacting the store ahead of time.  Thier store locator website tends to be a little out of date. 
Hello,   What are you having problems with on the MiFi 4510 when it comes to configuring the device?  The MiFi is a device that comes ready to go with basic functionality out of the box, so you... See more...
Hello,   What are you having problems with on the MiFi 4510 when it comes to configuring the device?  The MiFi is a device that comes ready to go with basic functionality out of the box, so you dont need to configure anything unless you have a specific objective in mind.  If you share some specifics I'm sure we could help you out.    Otherwise the general Verizon 1-800 number should be able to route you over to tech support.  The Customer Service number is 1 (800) 922-0204.  Just ask for technical support and you can speak to someone for more help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies   Notice the difference between band and frequncy.  Its a little confusing but "band" is the generic term for a wide range of frequencies.  A b... See more...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies   Notice the difference between band and frequncy.  Its a little confusing but "band" is the generic term for a wide range of frequencies.  A band can be broken down into more specific ranges and frequencies from there.  Depending on the service provider you may be recieving your 3G signal from one band or another.
"I would like the MIFi modem to wirelessly connect to airport the way yet a third printer does"   MiFi's and home routers such as the AirPort do not have the ability to connect to each other wi... See more...
"I would like the MIFi modem to wirelessly connect to airport the way yet a third printer does"   MiFi's and home routers such as the AirPort do not have the ability to connect to each other wirelessly.  Cascading requires a Ethernet Cable connection in order to bypass all of the wireless security protocols.  In order to create a wireless connection a device must have a interface which allows the user to enter the wireless password and SSID.  The MiFi does not have a interface to wirelessly connect to another router/hotspot/network, I presume the AirPort does not either.  You will not be able to setup your network the way you want.   "would plugging in a USB modem into the hub or directly into airport device work?"   No.  Again a device must have an interface which allows it to send credentials back to the service provider.  Much like how you must sign into a VZW account before using a USB Modem on your laptop, a router must be able to complete the same steps.  The only exception to this would be a wireless cradle which is specifically designed to be compatible with a USB modem.  I am not familiar with AirPort routers but I assume the USB ports on the back of your AirPort are intended for File Sharing and not for USB Modems.   Wireless Cradle: http://cradlepoint.com/products/wireless-n-portable-router-ctr35        
Yes.  The MiFi 4510L can be used to connect to a wireless printer.  See your printer's User Manual for instructions on how to complete a "Network" or "Wireless" installation.  No extra configurat... See more...
Yes.  The MiFi 4510L can be used to connect to a wireless printer.  See your printer's User Manual for instructions on how to complete a "Network" or "Wireless" installation.  No extra configuration of the MiFi should be necessary.  The MiFi will act the same way as your home router in this situation.   Contact your printer manufacturer for more help with the installation.
sirdirk9 wrote: Hello Everyone,   I purchased the Mifi 4510l and just received the firmware update screen whenever I open a brower. I tried to connect my usb but it will not detect the devi... See more...
sirdirk9 wrote: Hello Everyone,   I purchased the Mifi 4510l and just received the firmware update screen whenever I open a brower. I tried to connect my usb but it will not detect the device. I went to the Verizon store and purchase a new cable and it still doesn't detect my Wifi until. This is after downloading firmware on my PC. What is going on since I am tired of having to manually connect with my Ipod while traveling. The firmware update request does not allow automatic connection since it is bringing up the mifi.admin screen an waiting for user interaction.. Any ideas?   Jason   Hello,   The firmware update will not complete unless the drivers are successfully installed and available.  Check your Device Manager when you have the MiFi connected and look for any uninstalled devices.  Make sure you are connecting the MiFi directly into your computer with the USB cable when prompted, do not use a dongle or adapter as it will interfere with the connection.   Once your drivers are installed and available in the Device Manager then your firmware update will allow you to continue and complete the installation.  If your drivers were successful then Device Manager will list a "Novatel Wireless Network Adapter" under your Network Adapter and Modems section.  Otherwise pick a new USB port on your computer and try to run the installation again.
Brent,   If the LTE (4G) signal is anything other than "Not Available" then the MiFi should be able to connect to it.  Remember that "Signal -LTE" is different than "SINR - LTE" so hopefully yo... See more...
Brent,   If the LTE (4G) signal is anything other than "Not Available" then the MiFi should be able to connect to it.  Remember that "Signal -LTE" is different than "SINR - LTE" so hopefully you are not quoting the wrong value.  My SINR - LTE is displaying as 30 dB even through I am currently nowhere near a LTE signal.     One other suggestion would be to switch the 802.11 Mode to B/G: 1. Power on your Mifi 2. Connect to the MiFi through your connection management software (ex. MS Zero Wireless Configuration) 3. Navigate to http://mifi.admin 4. Sign into the MiFi using your Admin password   a. The default admin password is "admin" 5. Click the Wi-Fi tab/button 6. Change the 802.11 Mode from G/B/N to G/B 7. Click Apply 8. Reboot the MiFi 9. Test your connection   You could also try a level 2 reset: 1. Power off the MiFi 2. Remove the back cover 3. Remove the battery 4. Remove the SIM card 5. Let the MiFi sit powered down, disconnected and disassembled for 60 seconds 6. Reassemble the device 7. Power on the MiFi 8. Test your connection   Level 2 resets are a good troubleshooting step for these kind of modem related problems.  Removing the SIM forces the device to renegotiate with the local towers and can often times repair routing problems like the one you are describing.   If you were willing to travel you might want to try connecting in another 4G location.  Someplace closer to a major city with 4G LTE coverage would be a good test.  If the device behaves the same way then bring it back to Verizon for a replacement.  If the MiFi can connect to another 4G network then you know your problem is location based and not related to the device itself.        
Sitecer wrote: I have just upgraded from a USB760 DataCard and find that making connections with the MiFi 4510L is a pain.  No problem connecting wirelessly to the device but find that I have... See more...
Sitecer wrote: I have just upgraded from a USB760 DataCard and find that making connections with the MiFi 4510L is a pain.  No problem connecting wirelessly to the device but find that I have to perform an additional step(Open Browser, access the router and then Connect)  to connect the device to the broadband network.  This is "okay" for a single PC but what happens with multiples ... does each user need to access the router and connect or once a session is active, can others access it by connecting to the router directly?   What am I missing?  Why two steps? The old Access Manger with the USB760 connected directly (single step) Hello Sitecer,   The MiFi 4510L does not require anyone to sign into the router page in order to use the device.  All that your computer, or any other device, needs to know is the wireless password (on the back of the MiFi by default).  Once the proper wireless password has been entered into your default connection manager software then you will be able to access the internet.   There is only one step, but each connection must be wireless.  Directly connecting to the MiFi via USB cable will disable the broadcast and charge the MiFi only.  You cannot use the MiFi 4510L as a tethered connection.  Signing into the web page is only necessary if you want to make changes to the MiFi.  The MiFi acts exactly the same as a normal home wireless router.
Hello,   This should be possible with a MiFi 4510L without an extra configuration on the MiFi.  All you need to do is make sure you know what the correct IP Address is and work yourself through... See more...
Hello,   This should be possible with a MiFi 4510L without an extra configuration on the MiFi.  All you need to do is make sure you know what the correct IP Address is and work yourself through the Network installation wizard for your printer.   If you are having a specific problem or question related to the MiFi then please let us know.  The more details that you can share about your printer model, OS, and error messages the better.    Otherwise for printer installation issues you should contact your printer manufacturer (HP, Brother, Epson, etc) for support and installation instructions.  Chances are that the printer manufacturer has a similar forum that you can use too.    
No,   The MiFi 4510L is a wireless only device.  The drivers have not been released for any OS which would allow for a true teathered/USB connection.  There are some exceptions that allow for t... See more...
No,   The MiFi 4510L is a wireless only device.  The drivers have not been released for any OS which would allow for a true teathered/USB connection.  There are some exceptions that allow for the MiFi to broadcast and charge when USB connected, but the actual internet connection is still over the wireless.   A wireless card is a requirement with this device.  
Hello,   Personal/Consumer/Home routers do not normally come with a logging feature to show an individuals activity.  I would not expect the FiveSpot to be an exception to that norm.   What y... See more...
Hello,   Personal/Consumer/Home routers do not normally come with a logging feature to show an individuals activity.  I would not expect the FiveSpot to be an exception to that norm.   What you would need to do is purchase a 3rd party monitoring system/software and install it on thier computers.  Most software will allow email alerts to be sent with reports of the activity that you are concerned about, as well as block any content you know should not be viewed.  I personally have not had to use one before but a quick link that will help you do a Apples-to-Apples comparison of the different options: http://monitoring-software-review.toptenreviews.com/      
Hello,   VZAccess is a known limitation for the MiFi 4510L.   See this thread for more info: http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discussion/VZAccess-Manager-for-MiFi4510L/m-p/537912#M2845   You c... See more...
Hello,   VZAccess is a known limitation for the MiFi 4510L.   See this thread for more info: http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discussion/VZAccess-Manager-for-MiFi4510L/m-p/537912#M2845   You can share the 1(800) number with your employees if they wish to check thier data usage on the fly.  Although checking through the phone is not as convenient as a website it does share the information that your users are looking for.  The 1(800) is really the best tool that we have at the moment.
This is one of the top concerns that we had when we started evaluating these devices.  Thankfully I had put in the time to research what 5GB of data actually looks like.  We are stressing that ou... See more...
This is one of the top concerns that we had when we started evaluating these devices.  Thankfully I had put in the time to research what 5GB of data actually looks like.  We are stressing that our users manage and monitor thier data plans by using the 1(800) 922-0204 number and the email alerts.   We also try to show them the Data Calculator from Verizon to help them Visualize 5GB of data before they decide to purchase one: http://www.verizonwireless.com/splash_includes/datacalculator.html      
Hello,   This sounds like my first experience with the MiFi 4510L.  To correct the problem I tried resetting the device by pressing down and holding the small "Reset" button near the battery.  ... See more...
Hello,   This sounds like my first experience with the MiFi 4510L.  To correct the problem I tried resetting the device by pressing down and holding the small "Reset" button near the battery.  You will need a paper clip to press down the button.   Reset the device while its powered on.  Once that is done power it down and remove the battery and SIM card.  Let the device sit for 60 seconds and reassemble.  When I booted my MiFi back up it performed wonderfully.