Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 7,146 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

Peaceful1's Correct Answers

I spoke with GTL, Global Tel Link (they are the company that all prison collect calls go through...at least in Ohio) GTL's states they have a contract with Verizon, that Verizon agrees to the col... See more...
I spoke with GTL, Global Tel Link (they are the company that all prison collect calls go through...at least in Ohio) GTL's states they have a contract with Verizon, that Verizon agrees to the collect calls if "prepayed only" through this GTL company; this insures Verizon will not be loosing money. Your cost on the Verizon/cell end it just air time.    The 800 call 4 less,  can't work because they can't make a typical collect call to just anyone like you can out here from any land line. Inmates only can have so many #'s and the people they want to call have to agree to want these calls. Then there is a process that it goes through, all billing, blocking etc...is all through the GTL company. It is a monopoly prices can range from  $1- $26 for a 15-20 minute call. Crazy! Depends on a lot of things, primarily if your in a local exchange or not. So there is a connection cost, and then so much per minute.    So if anyone else out there is in this situation of having a loved one in prison, and it's vast numbers, considering 1 in 100 people in the U.S.A. Are in prison. The collect calls is highway robbery, for the loved ones out here that just want to stay connected, they didn't do anything wrong; they just still love their family/friends/spouses etc... (The entire prison system is corrupt..But most things are in our world right now) But back to the purpose of this...   Here is the info for GTL Phone # 800-231-0193, to discuss setting up a prepaid account & to make payments (Will get 20% off as opposed to not prepaying) Once you speak with them you will have to fax them a copy of your cell phone bill, circle your name, billing address, phone #, and fax it to GTL at 866-441-7285. Don't forget your loved one/ the inmate, has to program your number in and you have to accept the call stating you agree to pay these calls, once your is # approved and your prepaid, you can start receiving calls.)  If you have problems their customer service # is 877-650-4249.   FYI: when doing prepay, you must call in and make a payment by phone, or mail a payment in by the bill you get in the mail, you can not make a payment on line (for what ever reason, it will not go on as "prepay" with the discount)   The GTL person, told me the computer will recognize the approved, prepaid number and it really has nothing to do with Verizon, that it once the collect call computer system recognizes your # and the fact that it is prepaid, it is put on through to your cell # and really Verizon is not the wiser to it being a call any different from a normal incoming call. But he ensured me they do have a contract with Verizon agreeing to this. Also,  you have to agree with GTL though that they are not responsible for dropped calls and will not refund you for any dropped calls. This sounds reasonable to me, GTL can't control how good of a connection you have, and the Cell phone providers can't even do that  and they own the towers. lol