Voicemail indicator gone, and how to turn off "Visual Voicemail"?
GayzeStarr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had no problems on my old phone with basic voicemail. I'd get a message indicator every time someone left a message, dial *86 to call in, pick up the message, no problem. I recently got a Samsung Galaxy j7v (2017 model). Since then, I have no voice mail indicator at all. I didn't know I had messages until someone contacted me the other day, angry that I was ignoring them. I called in to my voicemail to find a number of messages waiting that I didn't know I'd received.

I have followed every suggestion in the forums. The "turn message indicator back on" instructions in the FAQ on Verizon's website are wrong ... the key press combination they give are for a pager indicator (who uses a pager these days? We all have cellphones!), and there is no option to turn on the voice mail indicator.

I had opted not to set up visual voicemail when I got the phone, as it requires the mobile data to be on (according to the the store clerk), and I have a very small shared data plan with my whole family. I keep it off all the time, and only access data services through wifi (which visual voicemail does not use). However, after everything I tried to get my regular voice mail indicator back failed, I tried turning it on yesterday, and turned on my mobile data.

It connected *once* last night. After that, it has been hit and miss. Most of the time, it spins the "refreshing" indicator and sends me a message saying it can't connect, and to tell customer service the error code is "9001".

Today, I was also able to get it to connect once, but had to turn OFF my wifi completely for it to work. (Last night, both wifi and mobile data were on when it connected). After that one connection success, again, I'm getting the spinning indicator and 9001 error.

My preference would be to get my old voicemail back, get rid of visual voicemail, be able to turn my mobile data back off so I don't waste my family's little 2G of data, and actually know when someone has left me a message when they leave it, and not accidentally stumble across it many hours later when I can finally get the app to connect. (Or a week later when a friend or colleague tells me they're angry at me for ignoring them!)

PLEASE tell me a new solution to this problem of the message indicator has been found, and there's a way to turn off visual voicemail, return to basic, and actually have my notifications working again!

Labels (1)
0 Likes