Unlimited plan - slow hotspot
KEEZORN
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just switched from a fixed GB plan to the Go Unlimited plan because I need MORE data.

I missed the part where it says that hotspot speeds are capped at 600Kbps.  Really Verizon?  600 Kbps?  What year is this, 1990?  Why do you cap it at such a low speed?  There is absolutely no purpose, other than to anger customers or make them pay more for your overpriced service.

Many people use the hotspot for things like work.  I can't even establish a decent RDP connection with 600 Kbps, and RDP uses relatively low bandwidth.  It shouldn't matter what the source of the data usage is, if data is going through my phone, it should all be at one speed.

Verizon, you may lose another customer.

Labels (1)
Re: Unlimited plan - slow hotspot
rcschnoor
Legend

KEEZORN wrote:

I just switched from a fixed GB plan to the Go Unlimited plan because I need MORE data.

I missed the part where it says that hotspot speeds are capped at 600Kbps.

You can always switch to the beyondunlimited plan and have 4G LTE speeds for the 1st 15 GB of your hotspot data.

KEEZORN wrote:

600 Kbps? What year is this, 1990? Why do you cap it at such a low speed?

If it were 1990, you would be limited to 14.4 Kbps and NOT 600 Kbps.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

In 1990, I would have moved heaven and earth to have 600 kbps internet speed. Smiley Happy

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely don't want to lose you as our customer, KEEZORN! We want to ensure you are getting the best experience possible. As rcschnoor mentioned, you can update to the Beyond Unlimited plan to get 15GB 4G data with your hotspot. Another benefit with the Beyond plan is that you can add a data boost to get another 5GB high-speed hotspot for just $35.00, giving you 20GB total on the hotspot at 4G. Click here to learn more about the Beyond Unlimited plan: http://spr.ly/65828hjT8.

NicoleB_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

KEEZORN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why should I have to update to ANOTHER Unlimited plan?  Do you understand what the word "unlimited" means?  Do you understand that "beyond unlimited" is syntactically incorrect?

The data source is irrelevant to the data rate.  It should not matter if I'm using my phone as the actual source, or an attached device.  The data still goes through my phone and the rate is dependent on the service that I use, again, not the source.  What do you think people are going to do with 600 Kbps?  You can barely load a modern webpage with that.  It seems like you are offering it as a bait-and-switch tactic just to get people to spend more money.  Verizon is such a rip off, I'm going to look for another company.

KEEZORN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Actually rschnoor, in 1990 I had access to an ISDN line with a 1.2 Mbps rate.  So ya, 600 Kbps is pre-1990.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

KEEZORN, help is here as I definitely understand where you are coming from as I am a consumer myself. It is always important that we set proper expectations. Our mobile hotspot is meant for light data usage as it was never meant to take the place of your home internet. Also, as promised we do provide you with unlimited data as upon reaching 15GB of 4G LTE, you have the option of data boost or use 600 Kbps as much as you like. We never want to see you leave us but please be sure to review what other wireless providers are doing as they have a limit set as low as 10GB for mobile hotspot in which you get slowed down to 2G (dial up speeds). We never want there to be secrets between us, KEEZORN, which is why we provide the FAQ's for our unlimited plan on our site which provide all the ins and out for the plan. Please click here for more details. http://spr.ly/65818hFWU

NatashaA_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

KEEZORN
Enthusiast - Level 2

How does Verizon know what I'm planning to do with my hotspot, and why should they care?  Again, data comes out of my phone, and what's on the other end on my side should not matter one bit.  I can just as easily use up all my data with my phone as I could with my laptop.  The whole point of a hotspot is to provide internet access at a "reasonable" speed for devices such as laptops.  600 Kbps is NOT a reasonable speed.  Obviously I'm not replacing my home internet; I have a 1 Gbps circuit at home.  I utilize my hotspot extensively while I am away from home or the office, and 600 Kbps is so pathetically slow that I can't work.  I don't use a large VOLUME of data through my hotspot, but when I do use it, I need good bandwidth.  Why don't you guys understand any of this?  It seems like Verizon has no clue about this subject.  You guys need to re-evaluate your policies.  And stop being a parrot with your "just upgrade to a more expensive plan" because that's the whole point of my complaint.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

So why don't you switch to the Beyond Unlimited Plan which has the full speed hotspot data up to 15 GB of hotspot usage?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

KEEZORN
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you even bother to read my post?  Why would I want to pay MORE for something that is supposed to be UNLIMITED?  Do you work for Verizon?  Are you trying to get me to waste more of my money?  Do you not see the complete backwards logic in their plans?  I will lay it out for you:

My previous plan:  Limited data.  No rate cap on hotspot.

My UPGRADED plan:  Now I have a rate cap on hotspot, even though it's an UNLIMITED plan.

Verizon solution:  ANOTHER upgrade to get back to where I originally was, because the plan to which I upgraded was not actually an unlimited plan.