Re: Does the 12GB data plan have a limit on Mobile Hotspot speed?
boringusername
Master - Level 1

clin93 wrote:

I've gone a little bit over my allotted 12GB the last few months due to tethering my laptop to my phone's hotspot. I'm willing to pay the $15/1GB fee, but am exploring other options as well.

I know these forums have a tendency to fall off topic; The question here is:

Does the 12GB data plan have a limit on Mobile Hotspot speed?

I can see the limits clearly laid out on the GoUnlimited, and BeyondUnlimited plans (which by the way makes absolutely no sense. The word unlimited means that there is no limit. This is false advertising, a bad practice at best, and Verizon should be sued for it).

I cannot find listed anywhere what the limits on my current 12GB plan are. I'm not convinced that there is one as I'm using my laptop tethered to my phone right now to type this, and speedtest.net says 9.92Mbps.

If there is no limit on my current plan, then I would rather continue to pay the overage fee on a per GB basis. I cannot fathom using the internet at 600Kbps as stated in the GoUnlimited plan, and I'm unwilling to pay $63 more when I can buy 4GB in overage fees before hitting $63 for the BeyondUnlimited plan.

If this is the case, then Verizon, you have made a bad move. I have no incentive to give you more money for faux-unlimited data. I would love to not worry about using up my data, but not at the cost of throttling speeds. I bet a lot of people are in the same boat as I, which means you're losing quite a bit of money. And clearly, this is about money.

Beyond Unlimited has 15 GB limit PER LINE before slowing down to 600 kbps. So maybe that plan is for you. You don't get why Verizon need limits on tethering on unlimited? Also I don't get where you are getting this "extra $63" for Go Unlimited from. How many lines do you have?

0 Likes