Re: Verizon Trade In Program a scam? BEWARE!
LISMIT37
Enthusiast - Level 1

The exact same thing just happened to me. I was convinced by the representative at my Verizon store to trade in my  perfectly working, blemish free 5S and that I would get $300 in credit if I upgraded to the iPhone 7. they performed the upgrade and data transfer in the store using my 5S where they saw that it was in excellent condition and without scratches or cracks.  The phone was perfectly preserved in an OtterBox case the entire time I had it.  After everything was done, they instructed me to wait for my postage paid shipping box to arrive in the mail. I followed all of the instructions to a T and returned my phone in the postage paid box provided by Verizon. Once they got my phone out of my hands, they sent me an email claiming that the screen was  cracked and that they were only going to give me $42 instead of the $300 they promised when they convinced me to trade it in.  I called Verizon corporate and explained to them that there was not a scratch or crack on that phone and that it was in perfect condition when I sent it. They told me that they could not rectify the situation at corporate and that I would have to go back into my local Verizon store to have the problem remedied and get my credit. When I went back to my local Verizon  Store, they told me that what corporate told me was untrue and that they could not remedy my situation in the store and that, in fact, corporate can do it, they just lied to me to get me off the phone as quickly as possible.  I have been a loyal Verizon customer for many, many years and have never complained and I am so disappointed by the dishonest treatment and run around that I have gotten over this trade in. It seems like such a scam since I have searched on the Internet and seen so many people that have had the exact same experience.  What's even funnier, is that after I did my trade-in, my husband traded in his phone at a different store and they advised me to not send my phone in the box, because Verizon corporate would cheat me out of my money.  They told me I should have turned my phone in at the store. I didn't believe them, and I sent it in the box anyway and they were right.  It seems like a bait and switch scam to cheat people.   My 5S was working just fine and I would have never traded it in had the store representative not convinced me that I would get a deal by trading it in.