Why can't Verizon manage a credit check?
Short-timer

Tried to get service for my new iPhone. Verizon needs a credit check and I have my credit reports frozen to avoid identity theft. Should be no problem, right? Turns out Equifax doesn't have my birthday, so I need to fax in a driver's license and SS card. OK, do that. Still won't go through. Spend $5 to lift the freeze temporarily; not good enough for Verizon. They want me to lift the freeze on ALL the credit bureaus. Screw Verizon. Went across the highway to T-Mobile and left with an activated phone, and more data for the money. And Verizon wants me to come back to FiOS? Right.

There is no one beyond the store staff (who didn't know what a credit report freeze was!) to contact; procedures are inflexible. Our area is upscale, but the Verizon store has a sign saying staff has no cash, security cameras in place. Like a 7-Eleven in Paterson. Is their clientele that down-market?

Since I put the freezes on years ago I've bought two cars, got a cable account, etc. etc. etc. and these clowns make me jump through hoops for a prepaid account? Without a phone purchase?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Why can't Verizon manage a credit check?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I thought the Verizon Wireless prepaid accounts didn't need a credit check to be opened. Are you sure that the reps starting a prepaid account or were they actually starting the process for a postpaid account where you get a monthly bill?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: Why can't Verizon manage a credit check?
Short-timer

Yeah, you'd think so. That option wasn't offered to me. This is the first smart phone I've gotten, and I just expected to walk in, pay, and get a number. When one of the managers threw his hands up, I left.

0 Likes