Moving from basic phone to Iphone 6- now or wait?
mj65

I have an ancient basic phone and just pay month to month. I want to get an Iphone 6- am I better off doing it now or waiting until next week?  My data usage will not be high- maybe 1 to 2g. Trying to figure out what will be most cost effective for me.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Moving from basic phone to Iphone 6- now or wait?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mj65,

Yay for upgrades they are always fun! You can purchase the device at any point as long as you are eligible to upgrade. Or are you purchasing it at full retail? Keep in mind as the iPhone 6 is a smartphone it does require a data plan, check this out: http://vz.to/1l7c3Gn

KarenC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Your best bet is to crunch some numbers.

How many GB would you like? Keep in mind that the iPhone 6 is a 4G phone and on top of that is a data hog. Not only is the phone, but the user could be too and being as this is your first smartphone I would be cautious getting a plan that doesn't have enough GB.

Would it be on an individual plan or the more everything plan?

It might be cheaper for you to sign a 2 year contract, with the device payment plan you'll save $15 off of the $40 access line fee.

For instance if you do a 2 year More Everything 2GB plan - you pay $40 for the 2GB each month PLUS you pay $40 for the smartphone line access fee and for the other phones/devices on your plan. The phone is then $199 + tax. In 2 years you'd spend $2,119

On the device payment plan you'll pay $40 for the 2GB each month PLUS $25 for the line access fee, but then you pay $649.99 for the phone in installments. In 2 years you'd spend $2,210

With these numbers it would be cheaper for you to do a 2 year plan, but then you'd be locked into a contract.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Depending on how soon you need the phone, you may want to wait a couple of weeks until Apple has announced the iPhone 6s. The hardware jump is worth the wait, since you will wind up paying the same if you buy now.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

DO your research now.  If you have to move to a newer plan, rather than just add data to your old plan, it might cost you more in 5 days.

as of now you can keep your existing plan, or move up to More everything or single line plan.  

I Don't think the new plan had a name yet....Verizon Ditches Two-Year Phone Contracts and Unveils New Rate Plans - NBC News

0 Likes