Will Porting my Number to another carrier end my service?
HIppychick83
Enthusiast - Level 1

My contract is done. I have been on Month to Month for a while now so I don't have to worry about ETF.  I just need to know if I Port my number to another carrier will that end my service or do I still need to call and cancel once the number is ported?   Thank you in advance for the help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Will Porting my Number to another carrier end my service?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Going to the new carrier and initiating a port of your number to their service will cancel the service with Verizon.  You may want to check with Verizon after a few days to ensure that the service was cancelled entirely and the port completed successfully. 

Be sure to turn your (Verizon) phone off and remove the SIM card if it has one.  This helps the port process by eliminating any old connection your number may have with Verizon.

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

It sounds like this is a personal account (not a business or government) so the port process will take up to 24 hours - do as suggested and it will be quicker. Keep in mind you will not be able to send or make calls during the porting process, though you should still receive text and phone calls.

I 2nd the suggestion to call and verify service has been cancelled with Verizon and then also make a note that if you don't get a final bill in a reasonable time that you call again and find out where it is. Also make sure your address is up to date as they will more than likely mail you a final bill. Don't forget about this, I've seen a few people come on here and say how they cancelled, thought they were finished paying and instead have owed a balance for years and now collections was after them.

HIppychick83
Enthusiast - Level 1

Good to know and thank you for the tips!

Yes this is a personal account so I will do as you say with the Sim Card.

0 Likes