Why are my LTE speeds so varied?
JonSingleton
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I have noticed that my speeds for LTE vary, usually based on the time of day. Now I could attribute slightly slower speeds to peak time tower load. However there's two factors I find a bit troubling that make me think something else is amiss. First, I am on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, which I'm well aware Verizon hates. The speed fluctuation is immense, from upwards of 30mbps all the way down to 1mbps. (As shown in the pdf I Wil link to with my speed test results, is capable of supposing to under 15KBPs). Second alarming factor is the specific times I notice my LTE speeds are mysteriously fully accessible. I am usually only able to get quick speeds shortly after midnight, while from day 6am-midnight my speeds are typically far below par with some acceptions.

Things I have tried to remedy:

Connected to different severs for tests around local area to rule out bad severs

Factory reset my brand new Apple store bought I phone 6 plus.

Updated my carrier settings

Removed and added my SIM card back

Rebooted the phone after poor tests and trying again with no change

Drove around to different areas of my local area where there are different tower to connect with to find no change in speed (save for one very specific location that I attribute to some sort of nearby booster).

During one of these drives I brought a friend with me who has two plans with Verizon, one unlimited like I have on a Samsung s6 and another tiered plan on an iPhone 6 plus. His Samsung received poor speeds (this is his unlimited plan) while his iphone (same as mine) on the tiered data plan received almost no slow speeds during the tests.

So I am worried that Verizon is punishing me for being on the unlimited plan by prioritizing other users tiered data over mine. Why else would my friend experience the same speeds in the same places at the same time as me with a different phone that is also unlimited, while receiving perfect service on the same phone I have using the tiered plan? As far as I can remember Verizon backed off of throttling 4g/LTE customers who are on an unlimited plan due to pressure from the FCC, so why does it feel as though I am being throttled for virtually every portion of the day except for the time of day I don't use it?

This is a link containing a PDF export from my speed test app: cannot paste from within safari on this text box, will add link from pc momentarily.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes