Proposal for account owner alert if minutes are about to go over
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

I would like to formally propose some kind of alert system to the account holder as a requested option once the account goes over a certain threshold of use.    I say this because I have seen a number of really good members here (Lyn is one) who got stuck with enormous bills due to an adolescent in the home who got a hold of a phone and ran the bill through the roof.    

Yes, I know this is a child-parent discipline problem that a parent is responsible for but aside from that there have also been situations where an angry adult in the family has intentionally run up the account holders bill.   The account holder has no idea this is going on until a month later when an enormous bill shows up.

Verizon can simply provide an option for the account holder to receive some kind of personal notificiation once a certain level of minutes has been exceded.     That way they are on early notice that an overage in minutes is about to take place and they can take action with whomever is responsible in their household.    I think this would be a very helpful service for many and one that is not all that difficult to implement.

Message Edited by DarkCobra on 04-25-2009 01:28 PM
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Proposal for account owner alert if minutes are about to go over
lowrance
Contributor - Level 2
would be an excellent idea . it would benefit verizon also by cutting down on calls and giving out adjustments
0 Likes
mmmcheezy
Enthusiast - Level 3

That option is available.  It's called Usage Controls and can be activated at a cost of 4.99/month.

And also, as I'm sure you're already aware, the account owner can monitor the usage on the account either with #min or their My Verizon account.

0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Hi . . . yes, this is a great feature that many of us have (myself included) usually "after" a problem of severe sudden use arises.   In the Lyn's case (which prompted me to make the request) she had no idea the minutes were being run through the roof until the end of the month when it was too late.    Once you realize you're got a problematic user in the house you can then pay for this protection.

The problem here is she didn't know until it was too late.   What I'm proposing is for Verizon to have a simple courtesy alert notification to the account owner once whenever your plan minutes have been surpassed.    They send us e-mails all the time for all sorts of advertisements and things.   It would be helpful to at least offer this as a courtesy option to an account owner to be notified that an overage has occurred within the plan.

THEN once a parent realizes that little junior needs such controls, they can then pay each month for the "usage control" constant protection from that point forward.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

As much as I agree with you, I don't think that would ever happen. Usage charges are a lot of VZW's bread&butter I imagine. So I don't think VZW would see it as a huge priority in setting up. There are so many other options out there for managing and checking the minutes that I think it's really up to the customer.

But I can certainly see how less overages for customer's would mean happier customers. And happier reps too!!

Oh what a backwards world we live in.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DarkCobra
Contributor - Level 3

Well you put it quite well.   I guess it's time to close this thread as the point has been made.   There are indeed a couple of features available to restrict/limit a phones use . . . once you become aware that such controls need to be installed.   As I stated at the beginning, what recourse does a parent have the first time around when "junior" goes bizerke and runs up a bill of thousands.    Unless, the carrier has sympathy for you . . . you dig deep and pay it . . . THEN you can install all the controls we've been talking about.

But it's like closing the barn door once the horses have all run away huh?    Hopefully, someday Verizon will see fit to install a simple "early warning system" as an option for a parent who doesn't yet realize there is going to be such a severe problem.   So without further ado . . . everyone's proposal to close this thread is accepted and I thank you all for contriubting as you did.   Thanks all!

Message Edited by DarkCobra on 04-27-2009 09:47 PM
0 Likes
mmmcheezy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hate to reiterate something that has already been said, but again, it's kind of the user's responsibility to monitor usage so that you can catch it BEFORE the overages occur.  It's fairly easy and quick to check usage.

Although I did use to work for Verizon Wireless' customer service department and unfortunately many people [for whatever reason] never even think to check their usage until they've gone over at least once.  In my opinion, it's best to check your usage at least once a month, possibly a couple of days before your bill cycle runs out so that if you are going over, you can remedy the problem.

0 Likes
bc3tech
Contributor - Level 2

Here's a suggestion based on what I do when I'm in this situation. It has worked every time I've asked for it.

Whenever I notice that I am over on my minutes, or text messaging, I call customer service before the end of my billing period. Then you just request to be bumped up to the next package, and that the change be made retroactively for the month. Then you are effectively on the next minute/txt package for that whole problematic month.

In some cases, the reps have even told me they can do it until the end of the current billing cycle, then knock me back down automatically to what I was at - so I don't even have to call in again.

So basically if you keep an eye on it, which it sounds like many of us do, then just check a few days before the end of your cycle, and adjust your PLAN accordingly to avoid any overage fees.

Also, do the math - if the cost of the jump to the next plan is greater than the cost you'll incur in overages, don't do it. For me, this is about 40 txt messages over my limit. :smileyhappy: So if I'm only 20, I don't sweat it and deal w/ the overage charge because it's less than the difference to bump to the next messaging plan :smileyhappy:

Hope that helps!

0 Likes