Why does Verizon Penalize Long-time Customers?
everettedl
Enthusiast - Level 1

I started out as a Alltel customer in 2004 and became Verizon during the merger.  I had a pretty nice plan at 500mins with unlimited text and data.  When Verizon started their More Everything Plans, they started alienating those of us who still had unlimited plans.  Not only are the plans more expensive than the Alltel plan I have (by about $10 - $15 for a decent plan), but if you didn't sign up for it, you could no longer upgrade at the promotional price and had to pay full price for your phone.

The compromise to this was Verizon Max.  This gave customers a way to keep a fairly large amount of data (6GB) and still keep their plan price low.  However, even this plan penalizes customers:

- You can't share the data

- You can't use your device as a hotspot, even though you have plenty of data to use

This works just fine, until you decide to add devices to your plan.  So here's my situation:

I'm sitting pretty at about $90 per month (before taxes, add-ons, discount) on the Max plan.  All is well until I see that they started selling the Galaxy Gear S.  I call Verizon and they tell me I need to upgrade to the More Everything Plan, which is about $120 before taxes for 10GB (they give you 10GB instead of 6GB).  Then you pay $5 per month to add the watch to your plan.  All this for a total of $125 a month - a permanent difference of $30.

Obviously I don't want to spend that much more money on my plan, so I ask what else they can do.  They said the only other thing they can do is add the device as a separate line with its own data plan and phone number.  Since the only plan you can buy from Big Red is More Everything, that comes out to about  $25 before taxes.  That's only a $5 difference between that and More Everything, so I may as well use More Everything so I can keep the same number and just share data.

My point is, either way, I will have to pay at least $25 just to enjoy the benefits of owning a new device.  For context, before More Everything, new lines only cost $10 and you just paid for the device and that was that - easy.  $10 is something I can handle - $15 is pushing it.  But $25 more a month??

It's ridiculous I have to jump through all these hoops just to enjoy new devices and good service.  As a customer of 10yrs, there's absolutely nothing Customer Care is even able to do for me (I was on the phone with them for over an hour) and their so-called loyalty plans are just crippled versions of the fully-priced plans.  I just want to buy the stupid watch, add it to my plan for a low price, and keep it moving.

There's no benefit to being a long time customer at Verizon, so I'm going to start looking at other companies that take better care of their loyal customers. I'd love to stay with Verizon, but there's obviously no love for me.

Labels (1)
Re: Why does Verizon Penalize Long-time Customers?
rcschnoor
Legend

When you say they "penalize" old customers, that leads one to believe new customers can get the item at a lower price than old customers. This is not the case. They pay the same price as you. You want to add a device, you have to add it at the price CURRENTLY in effect.

They are "rewarding" you by allowing you to keep your old plan for as long as you would like. Anything additional, you have to pay the CURRENT prices. That is not "penalizing" you. Forcing you to go off your old plan would be "penalizing" you. Going off your old plan is a choice you either make or don't make. You want the newer capabilities, pay the newer prices. You want the older prices, you are stuck with the capabilities available when those prices were available.Smiley Happy

It seems the one to be mad at here would be Samsung. They are the one which incorporated a direct cell link into the watch, NOT VERIZON. If the watch didn't require you to have a cell plan, but only a bluetooth connection as other smartwatches, you would not be in this predicament. Possibly Samsung will realize people do not want to increase their cellular bill when purchasing a smartwatch and offer a version without cellular built in.

Looking_elsewhere

I agree. Verizon penalizes long time customers.  First screen shot is pricing to upgrade my current 2 basic phones 700 min More plan.  Second picture is price if I was a new customer.  Doesn't make sense. I'll be shopping elsewhere.

image.jpgimage.jpg

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The big differences I see are the upgrade fee added to your current plan per line and the line access discount given for the "new" plan.

The "new" plan will have a $40 activation fee added for each line (making that a wash) and you can go online and grab the line access discount ($20 total, $10 each line) for those two basic lines.

That makes the cost identical.

0 Likes
MaduroJim

I'd have to agree.

I went to a Verizon Store and spoke to one of the folks there (Cordell at the Finley Square location), and he told me he couldn't help me, I needed to call Customer Service - I guess expecting CS in a Verizon-owned store is too much to ask for.

I went to Target to sign up with a new carrier (I wasn't under contract), but the person in the store actually took the time to help me, got me to upgrade my phone and sign a new 2-year contract.

Lo and behold, I get my new bill and it has an activation charge on it.  I figure after the effort I had to exert to remain with Verizon, they'd waive it.  Bottom line is that by the end of the discussion, I was asking how I could cancel my contract since I was in the same billing cycle as the change.  The answer was, for $350, since I had not done it within 14 days.  Of course, there was no detail of what additional charges provided until after the 14 days.

My bad for expecting recognition of my loyalty to Verizon, or the fact they dropped the ball.  I'm not sure if I'll eat the $350 and go with someone else, or wait it out.  But it seems Verizon is going out of their way to show us they don't care.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MaduroJim, we're stepping in to pick up the ball and restore your trust in us. When you signed that new two year agreement, were you provided with a new mobile number? Did the representative provide you with a reciept and all documentation for that transaction?

For more details regarding our return policy, click http://vz.to/15KVaxI

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MaduroJim

Hi Lasina, thank you for reaching out.

I didn’t get a new number, but I was presented with the full paperwork.

I’m not sure how you can restore my trust in Verizon. First of all, they blew me off in the store – told me I needed to contact customer support. My expectation was that speaking to someone in the store was one of the customer service options.

Once the Target employee listened to my needs, he actually got me to upgrade my phone. When I called with questions regarding the $40 I was charged to activate the new phone. After asking to speak to a supervisor, I was put on hold, and the agent came back to me with this stupid option about how they’d refund $20 and then give me $2/month to make up the difference.

At this point, I asked about my cancellation options – since I called immediately when I got the bill. I was told I was 3 days past the opportunity to cancel my contract altogether – unless I want to fork over $350.

I am open to whatever options you have to attempt to restore my faith in Verizon, but my Customer Service experience so far isn’t promising.

What do you propose?

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

I propose you suck it up, or pay the etf and go. There has been an upgrade fee for quite some time and a new carrier will charge an activation fee. You make the call.

Best wishes

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@Looking_elsewhere

Better look again.  The cheaper option on the bottom is your old 700 minute plan...

rcschnoor

wish I could hit like twice for that post! 

everettedl

let me get this straight....you want to buy a new device, but not pay more for service AND keep your unlimited data plan or MAX plan, but new customers who  pay for data are getting a better deal, wait?...and how are we better off again?

MaduroJim

So why was a Verizon store unable to upgrade you on a 2 year contract?  If you upgrade on a 2 year contract EVERY carrier charges a $40 fee.  You can avoid the fee of you upgrade using installment plan or buy the phone at full retail.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the additional information MaduroJim as this will help us with reviewing your options. I want to make sure we are on the same page and would like to clarify if you infact did in actual upgrade or added a new line of service? Was this information printed on the receipt that you have or received from the store during the transaction?

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes