Social security card fax requirement
startingonthewrongfoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went into a Verizon store recently to open a new account. I am switching service after being with Sprint for over 15 years. In the process I was told I needed to fax a copy of my social security card. This is something I am not comfortable doing and don't understand the reason why.  I do not trust what will happen with that fax once it is received And don't like the idea of a fax copy floating around out there somewhere. I have very good credit and have NEVER been asked for a copy of my actual card before. I called customer service and was told the same thing and was not given any real good reasons why. I have talked with others who have recently signed up for verizon and they were not asked to fax their social security card. One of the biggest  recommendations for protecting you from identity theft is to keep your social security card secure. By faxing out a copy it is no longer secure. I understand giving the number in the application process but not the faxing of the actual document. Again I have good credit and just did my own credit check to see if there was anything that might cause an issue. It came back with nothing unusual.  I decided to switch to Verizon because it has the best data coverage in my area. BUT with Verizon forcing the faxing of a document that I don't feel comfortable sharing copies of I am very strongly considering AT&T. Has anyone else had this request and did you feel comfortable in faxing your card?

Labels (1)
0 Likes