paying termination fee and upgrading phone
michael1000

My wife has an old nondata phone with a contract expiring in a few months and is willing to pay the termination fee and enter into a new 2-year contract on an IPhone 5s.  Two questions.

1.  The manager of the Verizon store looked on his computer and insisted the termination fee would be $175.  I think it should be $175 minus $5 for each completed month of the contract, which is much less.  I know from the web site that this is the rule for a "post pay" contract, but I'm not sure what that means.  The contract is a normal two year unlimited calling contract with each month's fee paid in advance.  When I questioned the $175 termination fee, the manager said that this was what his computer said and he was not willing to discuss the issue.  Who is right?

2.  Aside from the termination fee, when we told the manager we wanted to terminate the old contract and enter into a new one on a new phone, the manager started muttering something about how this could be prohibited "churning".  He couldn't explain what that meant, especially after I pointed out that we could just pay the termination fee and then go over to AT&T and enter into a new contract with them.  This is not desirable because we would lose the benefits of our share everything plan.  Is there a rule against terminating and upgrading in this way?  The web site does not let you do it online.

Labels (1)
0 Likes