Is it worth it to go prepaid?
lilbum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Anyone have a good argument to stay with a postpaid service provider rather than going to prepaid service?

Monthly, I feel more and more ripped off by Verizon. In all fairness, I have never been with another wireless carrier but the fees look about the same. I spend $165 for 700 minutes (we use about 100 on a good month), we text more than talking, have two lines of service, each have a data plan (mine is unlimited), and have been with Verizon for well over 13 years now. And all this is after a 17% corporate discount.

Tmobile offers unlimited everything for $50 a month for prepaid service. With two lines I would save $65 immediately.

If I want to upgrade my phone then I loose the unlimited data plan and I get to pay for the privilege of upgrading $30 for each line on top of phone costs.

Anyone have any good arguments for not going prepaid? Right now money talks. I refuse to pay an upgrade fee for someone to take 5 minutes to pull a phone, update it in the system and update contacts that will be done over the air anyway and signing for an early termination fee if I leave before the contract ends.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is it worth it to go prepaid?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

T-Mobile throttles their data after a certain level of data used.

You can keep your Verizon unlimited data if you purchase a new phone at full retail price, purchase under the device payment plan (not the Edge plan. The other one), or bring your own device purchased from a third party.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Just looked at the T-Mobile website about their pre-paid plan. One thing to keep in mind with this plan is to make sure there WILL be T-Mobile towers where you need them as these plans DO NOT allow data roaming. If there are no T-Mobile towers, you WILL NOT get data.

0 Likes
lilbum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Does that impact WiFi?

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Not unless T-Mobile supplies the data for your wifi signal.

0 Likes
GaryD1612

I have the prepaid $1.99 per day plan. I have a basic phone LG Cosmos 3, I like it very much. I went to the prepaid because I  use the cell phone very little. I make only about 5 or 6 calls, 3 or 4 texts and maybe I send a Pix once in a while, per month. I was on the share everything plan with 700 minutes at $45.00 per month. I just wasn't using all those minutes. I now pay $30.00 at a time, and it doesn't expire for 90 days. So I am only paying about $10.00 a month and still have the Verizon service. If you don't use your phone that much check out the prepaid daily plans. You only pay for days that you actually make or receive a call. The mobile web is $.99 for 24 hours of use not charged by data use. The Verizon Navagator is also $.99 per day for 24 hours of use. Texts are $0.02 each

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Someone I know just went from T-Mo prepaid to postpaid. He said on prepaid, he had no coverage away from a main highway through our area (Wisconsin). Of course, your area may be different.

One thing that would bother me about prepaid is I like to travel. And although I think Verizon is expensive, I place a lot of value on knowing I'm covered almost everywhere, even in foreign countries. And if I ever have a problem, domestically or internationally, I can reach a customer service agent right away.

I believe I have the same plan you do: 700 shared minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited data on two smartphones. With a 16% corporate discount and a 3% discount for paying online (I think that's what it's for), my bill is $150/month. Do you have extras you can cut out, like device insurance?

Edited to add: My bill may vary from yours because every corporate discount is different as far as which features are discounted.

0 Likes
lilbum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you! This was the type of info I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
lilbum1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah the coverage is the one thing that I do live about Verizon. I've cut out everything that I can at this point.

We do a lot of road trips which is why I was trying to find figure out whether I should stay post paid or go prepaid. Primarily since budget is a factor right now.

And then there's the most if the time misinformation or unfriendly agents.

I appreciate the feed back.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
GaryD1612

I changed to the prepaid plan $1.99 per day, on July 28. I don't travel much outside my area. They told me if I go outside my area I would be charged roaming fees of $0.20 per minute for calls. My calls are not very long so that does not brother me. So far I have not noticed any changes to the coverage. The phone I had was not compatible with the pre paid plans, so I had to purchase a new one. but it was very inexpensive) but I have not noticed any change to the service or coverage, it works the same as my old phone did. If you are considering going prepaid, I do suggest you speak to a customer service rep over the phone they can make you offers you don't see online. If your phone is incompatible with prepaid you will have to purchase a new one. I looked online, and you can get a pretty good phone for $29.99. Don't let the $ 35.00 activation fee scare you. I spoke to a customer service rep, and he waived that fee for me. Just don't purchase the accessories from Verizon, they are too expensive. I got mine from Amazon for a fracture of the price.

0 Likes