Re: FCC-13-21xx - New Signal Booster Regulations
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

That is how I read the regulation too. I see this regulation as the standardization of equiptment that should have been standardized in the first place.  Everything else dealing with licensed spectrum is, boosters and repeaters should not be an exception.

What will be interesting for us as consumers will be how the ISP's choose to classify and approve larger signal boosters.  The consumer grade repeaters will likely fly under the radar and not cause anyone problems. I dont know how the ISP or FCC will find these individuals in the first place. Perhaps they will wait for someone to complain and then hire a representative to serve the offender a notification. The regulation doesnt really describe that process which makes me think they dont have a good solution for it.

However for those of use who own "industrial" grade repeaters we may have a few extra hoops to jump through. Fines for industrial boosters are much more serious to the tune of $100,000 for a violation.  Seems to me that these are the devices that ISP's are really targeting and are more likely to cause interferance problems than personal/consumer boosters. Boosters benefit all parties so I wouldnt think the ISP's will target the largers boosters out of existance, maybe just the bad ones.

0 Likes