Sorry for the inconvenience... An Insincere Policy
T42
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon's customer service corporate policy is anything but a service to their customers. Case in point: for our first bill, I set up auto pay through my bank and mistakenly left out the final digit for the account number. I was sent a text message saying the payment could not be processed. Not a bounced check or anything, just couldn't be processed. At the message's suggestion (and appropriately so), I called customer service wanting to pay by credit card. COULD NOT BE DONE, and they were very sorry for the inconvenience. I spoke to the next supervisor up the chain, and he too explained there was nothing he could do and was sorry for the inconvenience. You see, the computer prevents them from allowing me to pay by any other means than cash. A computer, mind you, that was programmed according to the corporate's policy. I now have to drive three hours to the nearest store (I live in a rural area) to pay by cash. Did I mention they're very sorry for the inconvenience. The supervisor explained again that the software is locked, and again, very sorry for the inconvenience. This will cost me about $100 in gas to make the trip, again, they're very sorry for the inconvenience. I want to change my auto pay from checking to my master card, but that can't be done, as I must pay in cash. They're so sorry for the inconvenience. I asked them to tell me that once I pay my balance in cash today, if I would then be able to set up auto pay so I don't have to make the three hour drive anymore, and the supervisor said he didn't know and could only tell me what I had to do now, but he's very sorry for the inconvenience.

Both PayPal and my bank have features that let me send money via a checking account, and they have software algorithms and verification procedures to make sure you don't inadvertently enter a wrong account number. That is convenient.

AT&T, who was my provider until two months ago (and, I suspect, will be again at the end of my contract), discovered a potential overcharge of my bill and contacted me. Their customer service has the authority to make a decision and a change to assist their customers and go out of their way to be convenient.

Apparently, Verizon's policy is to restrict their employees from making a decision or taking actions that would be convenient and mutually acceptable, but they do train them to apologize for their inconvenience.

I will find out later today, after driving three hours, spending $100 in gas, and paying in cash, if they will grace me with the convenience of auto pay from this point forward.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Sorry for the inconvenience... An Insincere Policy
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

you can log into your online account and pay with credit card

or fix the autopay, ect ect

very easily done

0 Likes
ritsbits1212
Enthusiast - Level 3

When you sign up for auto pay, it very explicitly tells you to pay off your current balance as auto pay will not take effect untill the first full bill cycle.

It also repeats your card number back to you while explaining that it will save it to file for the auto pay option.

If you don't pay your bill on time within the first few bill cycles of your contract your put immediatly onto cash only status. Outside of that relatively short time frame it's usually pretty difficult to get put onto cash only status.

Pay attention. Pay your bill on time. Take some accountability for your own mistake. It deffinitly stinks you have to make that drive, but it's not the Representative's fault.

lewisr13
Champion - Level 1

T42 wrote:

after driving three hours, spending $100 in gas,

Take the car not the tractor.

jk, relax.

0 Likes