Hidden Contracts, Dubious Sales Tactics
jfdulmage19
Enthusiast - Level 1

Its been a while now, but when I went to the local Verizon store to upgrade my cell phone, I was assured by the salesperson that there were no longer contracts  (at least not 2 years) to lock me in. That was a huge selling point.  However, while there, the salesperson strongly urged me to take 2 other services- a landline and a device called HUM. I told him I would take the landline, but did not want HUM nor would I use it. He told me that I could cancel at any time on either device and to just try them.  I never used HUM, but later found out that there is a 2-year contract on this device and the landline. I called to cancel and Verizon told me I had to buy the contract out. I was further told by a former Verizon salesperson, that they are encouraged to get you to buy other services b/c they get paid more and the unwitting customer knows no better at the time. SHAME ON VERIZON for promoting these practices! Now with the COVID 19 pandemic, I am trying to eliminate unnecessary expenses. Verizon- have a heart and soul and let me out of these contracts without buying out of them. I only have 5 months left.  I want to cancel.  Please respond. Thank you

0 Likes