Chromecast & Data Usage
PlannedObsolescence
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is more a data usage question, so apologies if posted to the wrong area.

Can anyone advise ref data usage for hotspot versus cellular when using Chromecast? I have no independent Internet other than a Galaxy smartphone w VZW unlimited cell data and 15GB hotspot. Apps on the phone (HBO, YouTube, etc) are set to use cell data. Chromecast requires a common network so I connect to the TV's built-in Chromecast via the phone's hotspot. This works beautifully - connecting is not an issue. The question is, when playing an app on the phone and casting with Chromecast, connected via hotspot to the TV, am I solely using cell data for the video, or am I burning through the limited hotspot data as well?

FYI, the screen mirror function recently stopped working (software update) so I can't do that to take the hotspot out of the equation. An HDMI connection to the TV could work, but due to limited cell reception (literally a matter of a few feet makes all the difference) that's not really usable either.

TIA

0 Likes
Re: Chromecast & Data Usage
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are using the hotspot data to stream to the Chromecast. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being on top of your hotspot is vital, especially if you are administering your usage. Since you need data to connect the TV to the Chromecast, the mobile hotspot is being used as well.

When exactly did the screen mirror function stop working? Which software update are you making reference to and what other recent changes have occurred?

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes
PlannedObsolescence
Enthusiast - Level 2

Smart View connects to TV but immediately stopped displaying video/audio after installing the Dec 2019 phone update.  (G970U1UEU2CSKP)  I show a Jan 2020 update pending and intend to install it when I have access to a wireless network. Will see if that changes anything, but not hopeful. Do not have a different phone i can test. Would like to avoid wiping & reinstalling the phone or TV - been there, done that before.

My best cell signal is 1-2 bars 4G LTE about 15 ft from the TV (-114 dBm on a good day) My options appear to be:

1. A 16'+ HDMI/USB-C cable from phone to TV cable (clunky, but good video/audio on shorter cables I've used in the past w other TVs)

2. Chromecast HBO NOW / YouTube and hoover my hotspot data. (great video/audio quality)

3. Google Home mirroring of phone. This works for YouTube but HBO NOW is blocking content over that connection. Uses hotspot too, so unsure the data hit this entails. Less than Chromecast?

4. Smart View gets fixed or figured out. Video quality via Smart View is as good as the cell data speed allows, but audio is sketchy regardless of connection or content being mirrored. All apps including HBO work via that connection.

0 Likes
PlannedObsolescence
Enthusiast - Level 2

As my original question was limited in scope, Ann154's response appears correct as I have yet to find information elsewhere that contradicts it.  While the larger issue prompting my query is still problematic, it may be the VZW support forum isn't  necessarily the venue to have it addressed.

However - any suggestions to address the larger problem are welcome!

0 Likes