Re: Didnt get a free phone when I added a line of service- can I get one now?
rcschnoor
Legend

@chelsiewizper wrote:

In 2014 my boyfriend decided to add a line to his verizon plan for his elderly father (age 80). At the same time, I switched to verizon and was given a free Iphone 5C for activating a new line of service. We had just started dating at the time so we did not discuss it, and his father went into the Verizon store, told the clerk that he wanted the most basic phone they had (again, hes 80 years old) so he was set up with a basic LG flip phone that cost him $30 (which doesnt make sense because he could have gotten the same exact Iphone 5C I did for free since he activated a new line-- but I guess that was not explained to him). 

If he was upsold from "the most basic phone they had" to a smartphone, you would be here complaining that they took advantage of him forcing a data plan on someone who didn't need it. It's hard to believe that exactly what was explained to him 5 years ago could be remembered accurately. Possibly they DID try to upsell him but he repeated his request for "the most basic phone they had". 

Because he did not get a free phone when signing up 5 years ago does not make him eligible for one now. Are you needing to purchase an additional phone at this time, too? Most free phone offers are BOGO with at least one new line of service. If your fil does not care if he gets a new number, there is no reason you cannot purchase 1 new phone on a current line(other than your fil's line) and then open up a new line of service for your fil. You could then cancel his current line of service.

For the military discount to be applied, the account must be in his name, which I assume it isn't.