What would happen if I temporarily switched my SIM?
m_is_goodall
Enthusiast - Level 2

In a couple weeks, I am leaving to travel overseas for a total of three weeks. I use a Pixel 3 that I purchased through Verizon on a monthly installment plan, with a $16.66 monthly device discount. My thought was to move my SIM card to my older (inactive, unserviced) Pixel 1 to leave at home and forward text messages, and then buy a prepaid SIM card overseas to use with my Pixel 3 for the three weeks I'm out of the country. 

Those three weeks fall nicely right in the middle of a billing cycle, so at the beginning and end of the cycle, the Pixel 3 would be my active device. It's just the three weeks in the middle where it will be my old Pixel 1.

Is this a viable option? Would Verizon still recognize my Pixel 3 and keep its monthly payment plan active along with the monthly discount? Or could switching the SIM to another device trigger some kind of contract breach that would either get rid of the monthly discount or make me pay for the Pixel 3's remaining balance in full?

Thanks for any help!

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: What would happen if I temporarily switched my SIM?
m_is_goodall
Enthusiast - Level 2

Additionally, would simply removing the SIM card (without transferring to another device) do something similar?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello M_is_goodall. How exciting to be taking an international trip. We're here to help ensure you're set up for success. Thank you for all the details you have provided. My starting thought would be, as the Pixel is already paid off, have you considered using an international SIM in that device? As long as the line connected to the Pixel 3 remains active you will not lose your monthly payment plan or have any kind of penalty. As far as moving around SIM cards please make sure you completely power off both devices during this move. Does this help to clear up the details?

MelissaP_VZW

0 Likes
m_is_goodall
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your reply. I have considered using the Pixel as my last resort as the battery life is very unreliable. I would much prefer to use my Pixel 3. But in using that, there wouldn't be any problems with the device payment plan?

Thank you.

0 Likes
lesebre1
Enthusiast - Level 2

We do it all the time when going to Europe. Purchase a sim card in the country you are traveling to and pop it in. Good to go. When you return to the States, pop out the European sim and reinsert your US sim and your're back to normal pre trip. Nothing is changed or cancelled. Have a great trip.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

m_is_goodall, great question. Temporarily using an international sim card will not affect your device payment agreement. You will still receive monthly billing for that. Does this help clarify things for you.

DiaS_VZW

0 Likes