Verizon Call Filter not blocking VoIP calls
bl4ke360
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I get a lot of spam/robocalls (usually around 5 per day) and I recently signed up for verizon's "Call Filter" app which seems to block most of them, however it looks like the ones that still get through are VoIP calls that show a name or business unlike most of the blocked calls which show "UNKNOWN NAME". It could be that these particular calls are legitimate numbers being spoofed by scammers. It would be nice if there was a option for this app to block all VoIP calls, is this a possibility? 

Re: Verizon Call Filter not blocking VoIP calls
bl4ke360
Enthusiast - Level 1

Also I should mention I already have the block filter set to "All risk levels". 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It’s fantastic to hear that our Call Filter service has been helpful in blocking most of your unwanted calls, bl4ke360. You’ve gone into some great detail in pointing out that it seems to be VoIP calls that make it past the blocking rules you’ve enabled (filter “All risk levels”), which must be even more upsetting. You are in a great place for some expert help and we’ll do all we can for you. I’ve reviewed some helpful information on our Call Filter service here http://spr.ly/6600EkHAe and was unable to find anything that specifically will help filter VoIP calls. I know this is not the news you’d hoped to hear, but want to ensure we don’t make promises we cannot keep. Does that make sense?

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
stuartm93001
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the exact same problem. The simple fact of the matter is that if Verizon wanted you to block this type of number, they would let you do so and the App would actually be useful.  I no longer pay $2.99/month for this silly service. Instead, I suggest that you enable "Do Not Disturb" feature on your phone and set it up so that only callers who are on your Contacts list can get through. Much less distraction than Verizon's app where you pay them $2.99/mo to populate thier SPAM Database with numbers they already know. Here is how the Spammers work. 1) They have robots which will call phone numbers looking for the ones which are disconnected or out of service. They harvest these numbers in a database. 2) When spammers call you they use VoIP originated calls and equipment which spoofs a phone number using a number from this database of theirs. 3) You then pay $2.99/month for the privilege of entering these numbers indicating that the callers were SPAM. Verizon can solve this problem in the short-term by allowing users to block VoIP numbers. Then Spammer's will change to target their bots to older people and then harvest those numbers so when you get real angry and call back, some old man answers wondering why you are so angry.

The Solution is for Verizon to release STIR/SHAKN See https://www.fcc.gov/call-authentication  and this will allow for all of this SPAM to virtually vanish. So Verizon, where are you on your STIR/SHAKEN implementation? 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

stuartm93001, as always our customer's feedback is greatly appreciated and we certainly appreciate the feedback you've provided here. Our goal in this forum is to assist our customers in any way we can. Unwanted/unsolicited Spam calls affect many of our customers and Verizon certainly understands that these unwanted calls are quite an inconvenience. We're proud to offer our Call Filter option to help block unwanted calls to our customer's mobile numbers. We've also noted your reference to Verizon regarding implementing STIR/SHAKN and the website link you've provided. We will lift this up to our Leadership Team for review. Having experienced unwanted calls to my own mobile number, I also recommend registering at the National Do Not Call Registry website at http://spr.ly/66041VuBe as an added layer of security and protection. I'm confident that our customers and Verizon would like a solution to avoid receiving unwanted/unsolicited Spam calls. - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes
Hiway1999
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not confident.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hiway1999,

We want you to have a solution that meets your needs, so please tell us more about what's going on so we can get a resolution in place for you. Why the lack of confidence? What issue is at hand that we can address?

RyanC_VZW

0 Likes
Butterbean3

Hi. I just wanted to revive this thread. I’ve been having the same issue with anonymous caller(s) using VoIP to spoof numbers to get through. I don’t know if that’s the right terminology, but what I do know is the identity of one person who’s been calling me. It’s someone I know, but I can’t prove it, or even block him, from what I’ve read in these posts. I could change my number, but he’ll just figure out my new one. Can’t something be done about this? It allows anonymity for the bully/harasser, and no tools for the victim to use for protection or evidence. Thank you.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes