Why has our coverage and signal strength decreased?
MELCON2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Where we live, we used to get three or four bars. Never had a problem and it's the ONLY reason we have stayed with Verizon. Now we get two bars if we are lucky. We often have calls dropped.

But since signal bars are subjective, I will switch to decibels.

-50 dBm is best signal strength while -120 dBm is a dead zone.

I chatted with Verizon, they said that my outdoor signal strength of -107 dBm was considered "in the middle" of the coverage range.

According to the Verizon chat person, the range is -80 dBm  to -140 dBm, which, at the very least,  doesn't seem accurate.

When I pointed this out, they said they would kick it up to some engineers who would get back to me.

I got a text asking me if my signal was bad inside or inside and outside. I responded.

The next day I got a text with a link to a generic video with a 19 year old(?) telling me to use HD voice and WiFi calling to help with the problem, or that I could buy a network extender.

So the logic here is that because Verizon's signal is horrible, Verizon will charge me $275 for a signal extender so that I can actually get the signal I am already paying for.

Gee, thanks.

I could get this type of service with any cellular carrier. Since Verizon is unlikely to increase the wattage of their signal or build a new tower, what's the point in staying with Verizon? Because I like the expensive service or the abuse of horrible customer service?

If you don't know how to find your signal strength, here's how:

Android: Settings > Systems > About Phone > Status > SIM status > Signal Strength.

Apple: Dial ⚹3001#12345#⚹ and hit the Call button to get into field test mode. tap LTE or 1xEV-DO or whatever appears first.

Labels (1)