Wifi Calling on Bill
darleneo

Hello, a few months back I found a question answered here in regards to wifi calls showing up on the bill.  The answered marked as CORRECT was an answer by a verizon tech who said that if your phone is not connected to the network - meaning it's on airplane mode and the call is going directly over wifi (no 3g of 4g service due to being in airplane mode) it will not show up on the bill nor will it count towards minutes.

However, I just looked on my bill and all the calls I have made over wifi when I know for a fact my phone was on airplane mode and just connected to my home wifi and there was NO verizon service at all, are listed on my bill and the minutes are logged.

How is this possible if I am going strictly over wifi and in airplane mode?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Wifi Calling on Bill
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You are in the right place for support darleneo. We want to provide the answers you need. It's great to know how features work. It is correct that we do not bill for Wi-Fi only calls but depending on the device model, there could be more to this. What type of device is it? I ask because iPhones have a Wi-Fi assist option that will allow your device to kick over to cellular data when your Wi-Fi connection is weak. What method was used to verify they were the same calls? Let's get this resolved together.

Bobby_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Calls are still going to be logged doesn't mean you were charged for them. Who has a minute plan anyway these days?

0 Likes
darleneo

Right, but how are they even logged if the phone is not on the network at all?  I can see them being logged on my phone itself obviously, but when I go off the network completely, how does Verizon even know who I called and who called me?  That's the question I guess.

My confusion also lied from this thread....  look at what is marked as the correct answer there?  So there are conflicting correct answers?

Can I see Wi-fi Calling Details on my Bill?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

You are still using Verizon's network, just not a cellular connection. You have a phone number registered to Verizon Wireless. If you make a call, even on wifi and the call goes thru, the phone system registers that call as a call to/from a Verizon number and that information is recorded as such. Simply because your connection from your phone to the network is wifi does not mean you are not using any other portion of the network. "Cellular" simply means the connection from your phone to Verizon. Verizon then accesses a nationwide network of wires to complete your call.

Possibly there is a misunderstanding between 'logging' a call and a call 'showing up on the bill'. One could simply be record keeping purposes and the other is an actual billed item and you and the rep are treating those 2 different things as the same when they are not. That is not a lie.

0 Likes