Re: Is Verizon working with the FCC and FTC regarding spoofing?
DesertRat96
Enthusiast - Level 3

As much as I use YouTube, I have noticed the same thing:

There are tons of videos out there teaching how to hack someone's phone, plus how to spoof. Accepting advertising money for shady app/software developers is a new low though.

Since I'm in California, and endlessly frustrated by hacking and spoofing personally affecting me, Google (and it's affiliates) completely ignore California privacy and identity protection laws that they are supposed to uphold. Take note of that, Verizon!

Here's what the FCC says regarding the Caller ID spoofing law of 2009: Under the Truth in Caller ID Act, FCC rules prohibit anyone from transmitting misleading or inaccurate caller ID information with the intent to defraud, cause harm or wrongly obtain anything of value. Anyone who is illegally spoofing can face penalties of up to $10,000 for each violation.

I understand many of these spoofers are located outside of the United States, and therefore difficult to catch and prosecute. But that's why I noted that neither government agency has an online reporting feature for victims of spoofing, especially revenge spoofing where a person's number is targeted to solicit sales quotes etc from legitimate businesses.

As long as companies, like Google, don't enforce the laws they are required by their home state to uphold, companies like Verizon, etc will keep running in circles with their Caller ID software etc. It's like plugging one hole in a breaching dam with a thousand other holes.