Re: Phone swap for device needing repair?
rcschnoor
Legend

sprmankalel wrote:

ljstanislaus wrote:

What if my phone is out of warranty and I didn't buy insurance. Can I still submit my phone to Verizon for repair?

If you are out of warranty and you don't have insurance with extended warranty or even just the extended warranty, you are basically out of luck.

This option is always explained by the rep at time of purchase and people don't listen to the reps when they are told that they should have this. The customer sees that it is $10 extra per month.

Of course the reps always say you should have this. For the vast majority, this is pure profit for Verizon/Asurion as many will never file a claim. When starting a claim, many will balk at the deductible and choose not to do so.

I look at it this way, I decline the insurance and "self insure" my phones. For about 25 years, I have had 2 cell lines and for the past 7 years I have had 4 lines. During that period of time I would have been paying premiums of $20/month(2 lines) for 25 years(lets say 15 years since premiums have gone up over time). I also would have been paying additional premiums of $20/month for the past 7 years. In total, I would have made premium payments of over $5000. During that time, I would have had exactly ONE instance where I possibly would have filed a claim. Instead, I simply re-activated an old phone I had on hand until I was chose to purchase a new phone. So that would have been $5000+ down the drain. The best "insurance" for a phone is to treat it with the care a high priced piece of delicate electronics deserves and not the haphazard way I see most people handle their devices.

Cell phone insurance premiums AND deductibles are overpriced. I would NEVER recommend someone to purchase insurance on their phone UNLESS they had a history of not being able to take care of their device and usually have to have it repaired or replaced every 9-12 months due to it not lasting for a reasonable amount of time.