Text messages going to old phone?
Hovs

Hello,

I used to be an Alltel customer and just switched to Verizon.  I am able to send text messages to people but often when they send them back, they go to my old Alltel phone.  I kept the same phone number that I had with Alltel.  I need to somehow figure out how to get all the messages that people send to me to go to my new Verizon phone. Can anyone help? Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text messages going to old phone?
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

You need to make sure that your old phone is OFF. Then on your new phone dial *228 and select option number 1.

Do you know if you requested to PORT your number? Or were you automatically converted to VZW?

0 Likes
Hovs

Does dialing *228 then option one activate my new phone? I ask this because I have already done that.  And I did request to port my number.  I was not automatically switched with the Verizon/Alltel merge.  My old phone is always off but if I turn it on, I recieve lots of text messages that should have been sent to my new phone.

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3
*228 option 1 REPROGRAMS your phone. Sometimes it can be of help in situations like this, but as I said before you'll want to do *228 option 1 with your old phone OFF. The type of situation that you have usually occurs when porting a number. so during the process of the port you may have kept your old phone on, which could have possibly caused this to happen. But try *228 option 1, old phone off and you should be good to go. If not, you'll need to call Tech Support so they can make sure that your number with Alltel has been fully disconnected and that your number is configured to the right MEID for your new phone.
0 Likes