Text Messaging when Recipient's Phone is Turned Off
mimi1985

If I sent a text message to someone who has the same network as I and the recipient's phone was turned off, is it possible that my phone would say that the text message has been delivered and would the little check mark appear next to the sent message on my phone before the recipient turns their phone back on?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text Messaging when Recipient's Phone is Turned Off
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep.  It only means the message was delivered to that number; whether the message was opened or not doesn't change that.  There's no way to tell when it gets opened and read, only that it reached the phone.

0 Likes
bashley00

With my experience the text does not show a green check until the message is actually delivered to the phone. So, if the person has their phone off it has no way to get to their phone. When they do turn their phone back on, the green check will show up as soon as it is delivered. Until the phone is turned back on, the green arrow will continue to show. My phone shows delivery times as well, so I can see when I sent the message and when it was actually delivered. Hope that helps!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

bashley00 wrote:

With my experience the text does not show a green check until the message is actually delivered to the phone. So, if the person has their phone off it has no way to get to their phone. When they do turn their phone back on, the green check will show up as soon as it is delivered. Until the phone is turned back on, the green arrow will continue to show. My phone shows delivery times as well, so I can see when I sent the message and when it was actually delivered. Hope that helps!

My experience is giving me a different interpretation of the green check marks and green arrows.  In looking at my past sent messages, everything with a green checkmark is to a Verizon number, and I can see sent and received times (which nearly always is the SAME time, whether the message was opened immediately or not).  All the messages with the green arrow are out of network messages, and only show a sent time, no delivered time.  So I can see that they were successfully sent, but I have no idea if they ever got to  the recipient's phone, except that they responded to it.

0 Likes
bashley00

I too only get a check mark with other verizon users.  Non users always only have a green arrow no matter what. I never get a delivered status in the message info, just a success. 

Today, when my friend who has verizon had her phone off ,( I know it was off because I sent a text and when she didn't reply I called her and her phone was off) the text I sent remained a green arrow until she turned her phone back on. After that the green arrow turned into a green check. When she had her phone off the message info said that the status was success and the cause code was "none". As soon as she turned her phone on the green arrow turned to a green check, the status changed to delivered and the cause code was 32768. That is what happens to me with other verizon users when they have their phone off. Maybe it is different for others? I don't know.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK--so the green arrow seems to mean successfully sent over the network to the phone in question; but it ONLY shows the checkmark when sent to other Verizon phones where it has been "accepted" by the recipient's phone.  Interesting, but it makes sense.  Thanks for the clarification!   I guess I've always sent texts to my other Verizon folks when they've had their phones on, or I've never noticed whether it was a green arrow or a green check.....

0 Likes
bashley00

No problem! I'm glad to help. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Carm
Contributor - Level 2

It is also important to point out that when sending MMS messages out of network, depending on who the sending carrier is and if they support delivery confirmation it WILL show. I have seen this, but for the life of me can't remember which carriers it works for. In this case however there is no sent and delivered time. There is only one time, the delivery time.

FYI

0 Likes