Delayed Texts Are Still a Problem
Physicist
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife and I each have a Pixel XL running Android 9.  Occasionally I noticed text messages arriving well after they were sent.  At the time we were using Verizon Message+ on both phones.  I subsequently switched both phones to Google messages. 

Last Thursday, 6/13/2019, my wife sent me a text, I responded and then she sent a second text.  Her second text to me was delayed by more than 70 minutes.  The delay caused significant and unnecessary confusion. 

Neither of us were moving at the time.  My wife was at an open-air event with good cell service and no WiFi.  I was at home with WiFi messaging turned off.

If I cannot count on text messages going through in a timely fashion, I am going to be forced to use voice calling instead of texting.  That is an inconvenience to us and a higher cost to Verizon.

Re: Delayed Texts Are Still a Problem
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

As a customer myself who constantly uses my text messages, I realize how important it is to be able to receive your text in a timely manner. You should not have to wait 70 minutes. I understand how confusing that can get. I will make sure that I help you as much as I can. What messaging (Messages + or the preinstalled messaging app) application are you using? How long has this been happening for? Is your wife experiencing a delay when she gets your text? Please elaborate. 

AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
Physicist
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I said in my opening paragraph, "At the time [that we first noticed the problem] we were using Verizon Message+ on both phones.  I subsequently switched both phones to Google Messages."  Google Messages is the preinstalled app.  So, clearly, the problem has been observed with both apps.

Yes, the problem has been observed by both my myself and my wife.  The problem has been occurring for several months, but with low frequency.  I cannot tell you exactly how often. 

The problem is easy to identify after the fact since the outgoing message is tagged with the time sent and the incoming message is tagged with the time received.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Do you only notice delayed texts when you are at home? Do other services such as calling and data function normally when the texts are delayed? What is the make/model of both phones?

StanleyC_VZW

0 Likes
Physicist
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spend most of my time at home so the problem usually, but not always, occurs when I am home and my wife is not.

Other services, such as calling and data, function normally even when texts are delayed.

As I mentioned in my original message, "My wife and I each have a Pixel XL running Android 9."

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the helpful information, Physicist. I'm glad to hear your data and calls work well. Please reset your message app with these steps, http://spr.ly/6601ESZO1. How much memory is available on your device, http://spr.ly/6602ESZOG? What signal is showing on the device when at home?

DanielleR_VZW

0 Likes
Physicist
Enthusiast - Level 2

1)  I have reset Google Messages as directed above.

2)  I have 32 GB of total memory with about 7 GB free.

3)  The signal strength in my house is at least two bars.

I will continue to monitor the performance and post here.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Physicist,

Thank you for completing the steps as instructed, and we are standing by for any additional results that this bears. I hope they are positive.

I want to gain clarity about something you mentioned in your original message. You stated that when you were at home you had Wi-Fi Messaging off. Are you referring to your Wi-Fi connection being turned off, or something else? Please elaborate.

ColinH_VZW

0 Likes
Physicist
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did not turn off WiFi in the house.   

I had been using Verizon Message+ from the time I bought my Pixel XL (1/2017) until the problem became apparent a few months ago.  At that time I tried to turn off WiFi messaging in Message+ and found no way to do it.  Consequently, I switched to Google Messages because I learned that I could turn off WiFi messaging in Google Messages.  Unfortunately, the problem persisted even with WiFi turned off in Google Messages.  

The little experiment descirbed above led me to think that the problem resides with the Verizon network and so I began this conversation.

0 Likes
smudgetool
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had Message+ text delayed for up to 6 hours. I now use a another app with no delays. This is sad, because the Verizon app was the best until the delays started.