Message+ using up all my data
jagermeister5

Over the last two months message+ on my wife's phone has started using large amounts of data.  We were about to go over on data last month and had to upgrade and get 8 more gigs.  

We deleted the storage and memory of message+ and thought that fixed the problem but here we are again with no data left.  I've switched to the data saver plan so I don't think we'll get an overage, our speeds will just be throttled down.

i just checked and since August 12, message+ has used 15.38 gigs!  Looking at the data usage logs it looks like every morning around 3 am, 0.5 gigs is used.  And then every morning around 9 am I see anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5 gigs used.

Is there a fix?  The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S10.  For the time being we're going to uninstall message+ and find something else to use.

0 Likes
Re: Message+ using up all my data
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is concerning to hear that this amount of data is being used without an explanation, jagermeister5. Message+ should definitely not be using this much data. There are certain features within the app that can incur data usage. Can you please tell us what other features of the app you are using besides messaging? Can you please also provide details on where you are seeing the data usage for the app? Is it in the device settings or My Verizon? 

MarshallP_VZW

0 Likes
jagermeister5

I asked my wife and she isn't using any other features besides just plain texting.  She does send a picture once in a while along with an occasional emoji but I don't think that would warrant the large amount of data being used.  What other features are there that use data?

So, the data usage of the app itself I found on the phone by going to settings, apps, message+.  On that screen it shows the mobile data usage.  I text a ton more than my wife and send lots of pictures and my data usage for message+ is only 219 mb.

As far as the timing of the data usage, I found that on My Verizon.  That's where I found that chunks of data are being used around 3:00 am and 9:00 am.  Although, on My Verizon, I can't see the exact app using this data but I'm assuming it's message+ as the phone lists message+ as the only app using large amounts of data.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jagermeister5,

We thank you for those details. To be direct with your question, even browsing through the multiple options on any messaging application will cause your device to consume data. One of the most common ways is viewing and receiving a GIF. As for the way that your data is being viewed, since devices calculate differently than our billing system. What happens when you view your data usage via the Data Utilization Tool? Just in case, here's a link that shows you how to reference the tool: http://spr.ly/66071JWih

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes
jagermeister5

I used the Data Utilization Tool to see that large chunks of data were being used around 3am and 9am.  Like I mentioned, Message+ blew through over 15 gigs of data!

We uninstalled Message+ and the data usage stopped.  

Has there been an update or fix to this problem?  My wife would like to start using Message+ again but is hesitant to do so as we don't want to lose all our data again.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

How are you typically using Message+ on a day to day basis? JoelD_VZW

0 Likes