Two step authentication hacked/spoofed?
averagejoe1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am not sure if this is the right place to post but this appears to be a significant issue I can't find a solution for. Two-step authentication for a number of services has been deemed a great way to secure accounts. 

I have a deactivated Facebook account with Two-Step authentication but have recieved text message codes to access my account. I can tell the the sender is a hack/hacker based on the extra text. If I submit the code I am sure my information and log in will be compromised.

Is there a way to clear a number from a spoofed or hacked SMS? Facebook uses a short SMS address as 32665. This hack attempt is the exact same. I can't find anymore details regarding the text and getting ahold of anyone at Verizon seems impossible regarding this issue. 

I know this is a Facebook specific issue but has me concerned with two-step authentication in general now as I use it for a number of services. I forwarded the messages to the spam center with Verizon but with a spoofed short address I don't know if anythibg can be done. 

Any advice? It seems verizon should be able to see where the text messages are coming from and how they have been compromised? I got lucky this time recognizing the fraudulent attempt but I am guessing many aren't soo lucky. Unfortunately, I wont be able to use  the service again as I keep getting the hacked SMS each attempt I make. I already reached out to Facebook as well regarding the issue. 

Any advice? Feedback? This is a big security flaw for those that want that extra step of security. 

0 Likes