Normally I use Nova Launcher to replace the stock Samsung launcher. Under Oreo it shows up as "Samsung Experience Home". I switched from Nova to the stock launcher and my icon appeared with 9 dots. Once clicking on it the apps list appeared and then sorting was adjusting via tapping on the 3 stacked dots on the top right side of the windows. Select Sort and then you have the option of "Custom order" or "Alphabetize order".
Now, you say you don't even have the 9 dot button to access the apps on your home screen? Okay, try the following:
- Long-press on an empty space on your home screen until the window changes and you see it get smaller in size and icons for wallpaper, themes, widgets, and home screen settings appear on the bottom of the screen.
- Select "Home screen settings"
- Look at the fourth item from the top of the setting screen that appears. It should read "Apps button" with a description under it. Tap on it.
- You will now be presented with a screen with two options: "Show Apps button" or "Hide Apps button". Obviously, make sure that "Show Apps button" is selected and click apply after changing it.
- After changing the setting you'll be switched back to the previous setting screen.
- Press the Home button and the Apps button should be on your Home screen.
- Click on the Apps button, in the Apps selection click on the 3 stacked dots at the top right of the screen, click Sort, and then click "Alphabetical order". All the apps should now be alphabetized. You can then click the Home button to exit back to your Home screen.
In case an alternate launcher is being used these are the directions to switch back to the "Samsung Experience Home":
- Pull down from the top of the screen
- Select the Settings icon in the top right.
- Scroll down to "Apps" and click on it
- Tap on the 3 stacked dots in the upper right side of the screen.
- Tap on "Default Apps"
- Tap on "Home Screen"
- Select "Samsung Experience Home"
- You'll be exited back to the previous setting screen.
- Press the "Home" button and you'll now be running "Samsung Experience Home" as your launcher.