Group MMS only works over 4G anymore, not WiFi?
benschultz01

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 SCHI545PP since October 2016.  Excellent smartphone.  I use it for work and have tons of apps on it, 2 GB storage free of 16 GB.  I was on an unlimited talk/text with 2 GB data plan with 1 GB bonus data for setting up autopay $45 plus tax, about $49 total monthly.  I would leave my WiFi on all the time (especially overnight when plugged in, updates would run) and only use 4G when WiFi was not present.  I'm an office worker and have access to WiFi almost all the time, both at work and then at home.

My background: Computers & Information Systems, sold Verizon Phones 2005-2006

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed I was "missing" MMS messages.  What would happen is, everyone who was in the group reply would appear individually as a separate line in Verizon Messages, in bold, as unread.  Tap to view each message, and the app would say the message was "Downloading." I cleared the cache, and did all the typical things as well.  Then I started to disable WiFi, restart the phone, and voila, they would load by tapping download, forcing them to download, and would combine into the group MMS properly.  Same thing with every other app if you set them as default, including the stock Samsung Messaging app.  Problem is before they downloaded, no notification sound would come unless you looked for them in the app.  I get text messages early in the morning if I am not to go into work on time or not at all and I stopped hearing the notification sound because the messages didn't load while I was on WiFi.

Regular messages load fine.  A couple of days ago, one MMS message never came at all.

Lo and behold I found out that Verizon Prepaid has dropped my plan cost for a full 3 GB to $40 per month and launched a 7 GB plan for $55/month.  Hmm...

I finally called Verizon support.  Lowest level representative reset system settings and a higher level technical representative got on the phone, he practically forced me to change my plan to the new $40 one before he'd even go any further.  Little did I know I now can't change it again until the next billing cycle should I want more data.  He had me remove the SIM card and restart the phone.  At that point I was disconnected and never received a return call.

Yesterday I went to our local Verizon Store.  They did a SIM swap and could do nothing else, saying that usually fixes the problem, and could suggest nothing else.

Today I did a factory reset.  No dice, still the same problem.  I'm heading back to the Verizon Store tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas?

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes