Re: Net Neutrality:  That's that and it Passed
Snn5
Legend

Well, then I guess it doesn't matter if they exist then, but I'm sure that using their browser or another company's browser to go to their blog matters.  Look, let's not focus so much on the browser, let's look at the link to the blog B33 posted.  I think that was the point.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

They make money off of donations, and not a per use basis.  Yes if they did make money every time someone used their browser then NN would have a major impact for them, but it isn't that way.

It's all a placebo... Show me an example of a website being blocked by any ISP?  NEVER HAPPENED since the inception of the internet.  It's fear mongering.  The only time a website has ever been blocked was due to CR infringement or legal action request which has NOTHING to do with the ISP.

About the throttling I already explained what is happening with that and people are fed something completely different or don't even bother caring or even understand the dynamics of it.

Without throttling our internet will get slower.  It's going to be a fact of life during peak usage because you can no longer set priorities.  Just watch it happen Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Re: Net Neutrality: That's that and it Passed
Snn5
Legend

You're speaking from a tinfoil hat perspective.  I am just seeing both sides.  You're not bringing the laymans pros and cons.  Nobody is learning anything here. This thread really isn't helping anyone anymore.  It's just turned into some one-sided browser discussion.  Sorry to hijack your portion of the thread B33 .  Please refer back to post #3 on this thread.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

That's not in the tinfoil perspective. That's from a guy who worked for Major ISPs for a long number of years. 🙂 you don't have to believe me and think what you think. I will wait it out and laugh at those who believed this will fix the fake problem. There's a reason like I said before. The countries that are PROCONSUMER didn't adopt any net neutrality type of laws or regulations.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I'm glad you were able to offer your insight, no matter how lacking in detail it may have been.  So much for a discussion with multiple angles.  My topic was meant for people to come and contribute to and bring both sides to light.  We all failed here.  Whatever will be, will be.  Nothing either of us can do about it.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I would indulge on more, but I am under a NDA for a lot of things from a lot of companies which at times really really terrible.  Some I could actually serve jail time for Smiley Sad  All I know from when I was working for a lot of these companies.  The companies that have more to gain are for it because they can unload their network load onto another network to increase profits without actually investing into their network.  The companies that are taking the load will lose profits and more than likely fold then they will be bought out into one large company(Ma Bell for example comes into mind).  Censorship will come into play in a few years like they do with cable. People don't notice them happening. 

0 Likes
imintersay

The FCC tells us that Net Neutrality will give us a free and open Internet by granting them the power to regulate it under laws that were written 60 years before the Internet existed as a common household service. They say consumers need to be protected from the possibility that Internet providers will block traffic to certain sites, or set up paid prioritization systems for consumers or web services who pay more. Sounds good? Not really. They aren’t addressing a problem that currently plagues American consumers; only a problem that they insist will probably plague us at some point.Right now Internet Providers, being private companies providing a service, do dictate certain things because that's how the free market works. But nobody really controls the conversation online or dictates the content.Yeah, you pay your bill to Verizon, you complain about the privacy settings on Facebook, but when it comes down to it, the Internet is about the only part of American life where the people really do have a freedom to voice their opinions. The government (whether its Dems or Repubs) would like nothing better than to silence the voice of their opponents. So anyone who believes that's a good thing is short sighted and naive. I fully support Verizon's opposition to net neutrality because I want to have the same freedoms that the internet provides me and all others now (even those with whom I disagree).

0 Likes