Re: Working Skype for Thunderbolt has been released
ghamden

Still no front facing camera can you belive this **bleep** only rear camera video

0 Likes
rkr42201

soooo what was the point of releasing it for the Thunderbolt and it doesnt even use the front facing camera????? Idk what these people at skype are thinking but they need to get it together.

0 Likes
codiac1881

So I did some research, and this is what I got. Native access to the front camera on devices wasn't added to android until 2.3+ (gingerbread). Before you ask, all the other apps that you use that DO allow the use of the front camera, are using work arounds to get it working. Skype chose to simply use the native ability of gingerbread to access the front camera as to make the app more efficient and better performance. So, in summation, skype not working on the front camera is NOT skypes fault. It is HTC and Verizon's fault for not updating the TB to an OS that will be old in a few months when they announce Ice Cream Sandwich.  

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i will admit that i don't understand how all of this works, but i can also tell you that my front facing cam worked fine from the day i bought it.....so i guess i don't understand why there had to be "workarounds" that the apps supposedly used, if i could use the cam on the stock app??? there was also a leaked skype that worked great prior to the mr2 update, so why can't the developers (since skype and verizon don't care) created a version to work with mr2? again, i don't know much about this stuff.....except that a few weeks ago there was a version that worked fine (without GB) and now there's not.

0 Likes
dchitnis

As @codiac1881 suggests this is a shortcoming of the current OS. When there is an official solution, there should be no need to cut corners and adopt workarounds. The OS version upgrade on Thunderbolt is long overdue. Where the lifespan of devices is approximately a year, it is 4 months since Thunderbolt has been released and the OS has not been upgraded. The community is not asking to upgrade this to 3.0, they are asking Verizon / HTC to take it up a notch from 2.1 to 2.3 to officially support a ton of capabilities, but for some strange / unknown reason, both Verizon and HTC are holding back.

0 Likes