Unable to force 3G in spotty 4G areas.
FullTimeRver

Boy, had a terrible support dialog with Verizon.

I am on the fringe of a 4G coverage area. Still, my Thunderbolt picks up 3 bars under 4g.  Yet when I try to use the "internet", it hangs, then after 2 minutes the msg "Web page not available" appears. How do I solve it?  Power off, then on.  Then as it searches for a connection, it first discovers "1x", then 3G before evenually going on to 4G.  It is during 3G that I get good browser response.  Once Thunderbolt gets to 4G, it rarely reverts thus giving me an essentially unusable internet.

Thing is, 2 manufacturers (Pantech & LG)  developed USB modems usiing Verizon LTE's world with this feature available.  Even my router manufacturer (Cradlepoint) provided updated firmware so I can directly connect the USB 4G modems to the router  and through the router menu, force 3G connections for this same scenario.

How in God's Green Earth can 2 manufacturers understand this dilema and yet Verizon not provide this software feature in the Thunderbolt?  Somebody asked on the Verizon support forum about forcing 3G under the Droid X.  The "solved solution" was to "download the update".   If Verizon provided this feature for the Droid X, why not Thunderbolt.

Support told me "that was the nature of new products just released".   No other option.

Somebody tell me there is an answer somewhere in this forum.

FullTimeRver

0 Likes