Google Pixel XL Shipping Woes!
ROBERTOTAYLOR
Enthusiast - Level 2

So here's my story about ordering a Quite Black Google Pixel XL in 128GB. On 10/04/16, the day Google announced the Pixel, I immediately called Verizon to pre-order a 128GB Pixel XL in Quite Black. The gentleman on the phone told me I would be receiving it on 10/20/16, the day of its official release (this is the whole point of pre-ordering). I week later, I log on to my account to see if there had been any change in the status of my order, when I notice the website actually says that the shipping date is 10/20/16, which means I wouldn't be getting the phone until 10/24/16. I called Verizon to check that information since I was going to be out of town that week, and the rep told me that it would ship on 10/20, and with their 2-day shipping it would arrive on 10/24 since they don't deliver on weekends. I told him I was upset since I was told I'd be receiving it on the day of the launch since that is the whole point of pre-ordering something. He suggested just cancelling the pre-order, and told me I should have no problem picking one up on 10/20 at a retail store since "Android phones aren't as popular or in demand as iPhones". I asked if he was sure that the retail stores would be carrying plenty of stock, and he said they would and it wouldn't be a problem finding one.

Fast forward to 10/19. I called customer service to see if they could look at the inventory and tell me which stores specifically would have the 128GB XL in Quite Black. I was told that they couldn't look at the inventory for the retail stores, so I would have to call the stores myself. First store I called, they refused to tell me what they were going to have in stock (never mentioned that they wouldn't be carrying the 128GB XL), even after I told him my whole pre-order dilemma. The second store I called, I spoke with a very helpful rep who checked her inventory and told me that she was only showing 32GB's in stock. She then took down my number and said she was going to call a few other stores around the area to see what they had. After about 10 minutes, she called me back and said that all the other stores only had 32GB's in stock as well, then she mentioned that she remembered reading an email from corporate about the Pixel. She put me on hold for a couple of minutes while she looked for the email, then came back on the line to give me the bad news that retail stores were not getting any 128GB XL's, and the only way to get one would be to place an order.

She spoke with her manager and explained the situation and then gave me a very nice option. She said that I could come by and place an order for the 128GB XL on 10/20, and pick up a 32GB XL until the 128GB version arrived. Although it would technically be beyond the 14-day return period, they would go ahead an make an exception due to the misinformation I had received. So I went in on 10/20 when they opened the doors, ordered a 128GB XL, and picked up a 32GB XL to use in the meantime. She told me that the shipping date for the 128GB XL would be 11/18/16.

On the morning of 11/18, I called customer service to check on the status of my order since it didn't show as shipped yet, but still had the 11/18 shipping date. The rep on the phone told me that it was still scheduled to ship on that day, and that I would receive an email with a tracking number once it shipped, and that most orders are shipped no later than noon. Well, I waited until about 5pm Arizona time, and after not receiving an email with a tracking number, I called customer service again. The rep said it hadn't shipped yet, but the system was still showing a 11/18 shipping date, so it was still going to ship before the end of the day. On 11/20, I logged into my account to find out the shipping date had now been pushed to 12/26. I called once again, and the rep on the phone stated that she didn't see a 12/26 date, but instead showed it in her system as only being pushed back a week to 11/25. So I waited another week, only to find out that on my account the shipping date had now changed from 12/26 to 1/13.

As of this morning, my account no longer shows a shipping date of 1/13. Instead, it only says "Please check back later for an updated order status". At this point, I'm losing faith on ever getting my 128GB XL. I guess the only positive thing about this whole mess is that I at least have a 32GB that I'm able to use until they send my phone.

I'm not sure if it was Verizon that underestimated the popularity of this phone or Google, but either way, they are really screwing people over making them wait 3 months for a phone.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Google Pixel XL Shipping Woes!
pablotn
Enthusiast - Level 2

All that I can say is "Welcome to the club".  If you have bothered going through this forum community you will see numerous complaints about Verizon's lack of management and direction on this issue.  Basic communication, lack of details, and customer service not having the information is just a few of the issues.

Google has experience with this kind of demand as they experienced the same situation when they released the Nexus 6.  High demand for a premium phone, but produced low volume. My issue is that Google is suppose to be a analytics company and they are positioning themselves to take on Apple directly and this does not help.  For them not to conduct the necessary diligence when they were attempting to bring this on as the premium Android/GoogIe experience is unacceptable. I blame Verizon for poor handling of the situation as the exclusive partner on the Pixel.

Meanwhile we get to watch all of the reviewers and testers boast about what a great phone this is and the experience is awesome. 

Both companies are to blame for this in my opinion.

ROBERTOTAYLOR
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree that Google and Verizon are both to blame. To top it all off, I've never received any email updates with the shipping being delayed. I've had to either log on to the website myself to check the status, or call *611 where the automated system tells me the shipping date.

One thing that I do understand however, is that I don't think Google could have foreseen the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 issue that cause a lot of people to switch to the Pixel as a replacement. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the high demand of the phone at this point.

The only thing I hate about having the 32GB Pixel at the moment is knowing that it's not mine. I'm basically borrowing it until my 128GB comes in, so I have to make sure I don't have any accidents with it.

0 Likes
pablotn
Enthusiast - Level 2

You actually bring a valid point on the Note 7 challenge that I have not considered.  It obviously has had a profound impact to their ability to deliver the phone beyond the normal demand.

0 Likes
ROBERTOTAYLOR
Enthusiast - Level 2

So after placing my order on 10/20/16, I finally received an email from Verizon yesterday 12/07/16 to let me know that my new shipping date is 01/13/17, but that they are going to give me a $10 Verizon gift card after my device ship as a thank you for my patience. A $10 Verizon gift card for waiting almost 3 months? This has to be a joke, right?

0 Likes
ROBERTOTAYLOR
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:

Not sure if Verizon saw this post or not, but yesterday I received a text stating the following:

"Free VZW Msg: Your order #469xxx was received on 12/08/2016. You'll receive a text message with tracking information when your order ships."

Well, since I didn't place any orders yesterday, I called customer service to see what that was all about. Seems that either Verizon got an earlier than expected stock from Google, or they're now trying to make things right. The rep told me that my phone was now in stock and was being shipped out. She told me I should be receiving a tracking number via email by today, and I received it this morning. So it looks like I'll be finally getting my 128GB Pixel XL in Quite Black by Monday.

To top things off, today is my birthday, so this is a great present! lol

View solution in original post

Anobix67
Enthusiast - Level 1

Glad to hear they are finally shipping out units. Here's hoping they received a ton of them and can start moving through the backlog/pre-orders.

0 Likes