Re: 2.2 Upgrade kills pop e-mail
pb2past
Enthusiast - Level 2

pb2past wrote:

They pushed the 2.2 upgrade onto my phone on Friday, Sept 3, 2010. As far as I am concerned it is a disaster. Besides all the other issues such as useless apps that keep starting in the background there is a much bigger problem which I think is delibrate.

Android 2.2 does not save previous e-mails from pop-server on the phone memory or the SD card and just deletes them everytime it refreshes once the server is empty. This is what happens:

HTC mail syncs with your pop e-mail account and downloads the mails. Once you are on your home computer and start outlook and download e-mails which as default deletes e-mails from the server. As soon as the e-mail server is empty, next time HTC mail refreshes it just syncs with an empty server and thus deletes all previous e-mails from the phone. One way to stop this is to change the outlook setting so it leaves a copy of each e-mail on the server. But everyone has limited server memory and sooner or later it will be full and you will have to empty it which means your phone mails will eventually be deleted too.

Another option is to automatically send your pop e-mails to Gmail in order to keep a copy of them on your phone. This has a problem that Gmail mails are only saved on Gmail server, so If I am in a place with no phone service, I have no access to my e-mails on Gmail in case I would like to refer to any of them.

Neither are real solutions. Spoke with HTC about this and was told that is a new feature with the upgraded OS. It is ridiculous to call this a feature, it is a fault. It sounds like they added this “FEATURE” to force everyone to use Gmail as their primary e-mail. That just does not sound right to me. As a consumer, I bought this phone and the service knowing that it has features that everyone accepts as normal and fundamental to the Smart Phone. Now Google, HTC & Verizon have decided that I should NOT keep a copy of MY e-mails on MY phone! I find this absolutely absurd.

I told the HTC technical support person, had I known they were planning to do this, I would not have bought this phone 2 months agao and may well have considered changing from Verizon to AT&T to get the iphone. If they don’t fix this soon, I will seriously consider getting an iphone even before my 2 year contract is up. I have a family plan with 4 phones on my account.

Had a new upgrade pushed on to my phone today and it seems to have fixed the pop3 e-mail problem. All of my e-mails are staying on the phone even though they are not on the server anymore. I have also noticed that the battery life may be a little better. I will still have to confirm that in a few days and after more usage.

View solution in original post

0 Likes