Droid without camera?
navyinsga

Does anyone know if the Verizon Motorola Droid has a no camera option?

My military job doesn't allow me to have a camera at work so I can't get the droid if this isn't an option.  Blackberry has some that have that option so that is my next option.

0 Likes
Re: Droid without camera?
AFguy
Contributor - Level 2

I haven't seen or heard of Motorola releasing a Droid without a camera.  Blackberry devices are the only phones I've ever seen release 2 "versions" of some of their phones, one with and one without a camera (Blackberry Tour).  I will definately keep my eyes open and will report on this thread if I see or hear of one for the Droid.  

Iowagriz
Enthusiast - Level 2

Could you get away with crushing the lens with a drill bit?  Would be easy to do on a drill press (crush/drill out the lens).

0 Likes
navyinsga

Iowagriz wrote:

Could you get away with crushing the lens with a drill bit?  Would be easy to do on a drill press (crush/drill out the lens).

The policy is no cameras, and that's been tried before and the decision comes down to what the security person at the time thinks and none of them are willing to take the risk that it's not completely removed. 

Just easier to get a phone without a camera installed at all.

0 Likes
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

At this time, we do not offer the DROID without a camera.  However, I will pass up your request through our HQ equipment department as I know the need is out there!

afbeefcake
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too would like a Droid without a camera, my work has the same polices no camera phones.

SBendick

I'd like to see more cameraless phones available as well.  I also work for a company where I'm not allowed to use a camera, but would still like to be able to use smartphone features.  Also, there has to be a population of parents who'd rather not let their kids have a camera phone.  Lastly, for the most part, the cameras that wind up on the phones just plain stink anyway.  I wouldn't use one in place of even a simple point-and-shoot.  We've been sold a bill of goods on this feature as far as I'm concerned, and now the market doesn't offer other options.

0 Likes
yniloc59

Yet, we are here, 5 months later and NOTHING...when is VZW gonna get on it? I am actually thinking of switching because of this...VZW does not listen to the needs of their customers...i guess you don't need to if you are the provider with the best coverage...

0 Likes
y0diggity
Contributor - Level 2

yniloc59 wrote:

Yet, we are here, 5 months later and NOTHING...when is VZW gonna get on it? I am actually thinking of switching because of this...VZW does not listen to the needs of their customers...i guess you don't need to if you are the provider with the best coverage...

OK, I'll bite, even thought the thread is essentially dead anyway.

You have to keep in mind that Verizon can't just pick up the phone and call Eugene over at Motorola and say, "Hey Eugene, I need you to start spitting out Droids with no cameras in them." It doesn't work that way for the same reason that it takes months and months to get a new phone to market or to get a software update put together and pushed out to a particular type of phone. For them to suddenly decide to develop a Droid device without a camera would be a lot of work so even if they thought it was a great idea and decided to go for it, we certainly wouldn't have one today. That's not even including getting something like that pushed through all of the red tape in the corporation.

I'm not saying that yours isn't a valid concern or need, because I totally agree with you all, however that's generally something that is designed into the initial phone launch so that it's all been put together ahead of time.

As far as you packing up and leaving Verizon over the issue, there are 2 things to think about -

1 - Verizon isn't going to lose sleep over you leaving.

2 - I don't think you're going to find a load of phones at other carriers that accommodate your needs either. Most consumers want a camera. For those with particular needs, they offer a couple options and at Verizon, that happens to be in the Blackberry realm.

Just some food for thought there. Probably not exactly what you want to hear, but it is what it is.

0 Likes
LongtimeCust

I'm another customer who cannot use a phone with a camera. In these days of increasing security concerns, why aren't the manufacturers listineing to their customers?  We don't want toys, we want a decent phone with the productivity functions that are available, without a camera!

0 Likes