Re: Droid Charge...epic fail?
Ellenchka
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wow, and I thought I was the only one with these issues.  Freezes unexpectedly, with need to shut down and restart, battery running out, sometimes for no reason in 4 hours....and frequent messages that I don't have enough memory, even though I move apps to the external memory stick.  I have 3 batteries, and they take increasingly longer to charge in the charger, so I find I have to take them out and reinsert them in the charging dock...Verizon service has never been helpful, and I don't bother now, since I also had this problem under their service with the previous phone, which was a Blackberry touchscreen.  With known problems, all they ever did was replace that 2 or 3 times, without success.

And now that I can replace my phone, I see there is a $30 "upgrade fee."  What the heck...If I am eligible for an upgrade why is there a fee, when I will be paying for a new phone.  What crap!  Frankly all of the cellular carries lie.  Sprint was like that too, which is why I switched.  As long as we are locked into a 2 year contract, we have no recourse that I can see here.  If I could afford an "unlocked phone" I am sure these carriers would try to figure out ways to add in all sorts of fees even if you pay for a plan month to month.  Greedy!!!

dhahn99

After chasing the same issues, this is what I came up with that worked for me. Slow response, uncontrolled power drain, and other erratic behavior is usually caused by an offending app.  To find the offender, hit the MENU key and then choose SETTINGS  and then APPLICATIONS and then RUNNING SERVICES.  All the base system apps are necessary and probably well tested. It’s also not usually caused by those very popular apps run by tens of millions users either.  Suspect an app you recently loaded or updated and is now running in the background.  Select the questionable app and then choose STOP. The app should stay stopped until you run the app again or reboot.  If this resolves your system performance issues, remove the app (MENU -> SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS -> MANAGE APPLICATIONS, then choose the application and UNINSTALL). You might also post your results to help others (and send an email to the developer with system specific details?).

0 Likes
kvnsgirl

My husband and I both have Charge phones. We have had nothing but issues. Dropped calls, our phone will not ring, but suddenly a voice mail appears, no call shows in the call log either, our phone just sends it straight to voice mail. More missed texts than I can count, and not just between our phones, but from other people as well. We have used the texting app that is preloaded on the phone and the Hangouts app, but it doesn't matter, we still miss numerous texts a day. We will show a 4G signal, until we attempt to use the browser and then the signal goes away, completely. We have had our phones for a year and a half now and the phones are so bad at this point, just making a phone call requires a re-boot. We both have done hard resets, but that didn't help either. It took 7 attempts to get my phone to make a call when I had to call my sister in law and tell her to get to the hospital when my father in law was dying. Not because I didn't have a signal, but because the screen woudn't work. These phones truly are an EPIC FAIL!

0 Likes
RochelleW
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have a Droid Charge and have gone into the Verizon store upteen times to tell them about how it will randomly shut off, or one minute it tells me I have a full battery and the next it's low (or vice versa), and it will constantly lock up, crash apps, and drop calls. Each time I brought it in they just offer to do a system reboot (which I've tried three times), and say "this is the first we've heard of any problems with this type of phone." Fed up with the Charge, fed up with Verizon. I'm not renewing my contract and switching to Sprint.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@kvnsgirl,

Having a working phone is definitely a must and I'm here to help!

Sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting already. If both you and your husband have the same phone and are having the same issues in the same location it may be something in the area.

Where are you located (zip code)? Have you tried removing the battery and SIM card for a few minutes and retesting? Have either of you had the SIM card replaced?

If you are still having these issues please follow me and send a direct message with your name and mobile number so I can further assist. Make sure to verify the account as you would when calling customer service.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is definitely not the experience we want you to have RochelleW. And we certainly don't want to see you go. How long have you had your Droid Charge? Has the only troubleshooting been the rebooting? Please try clearing memory: http://bit.ly/Sfy1XR Once this is completed, remove battery & SIM card for 30 seconds to see if anything changes. I'd really like to restore your confidence in VZW, and hope you decide to stay. Please keep us posted if this troubleshooting helps.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
kvnsgirl

We have removed our batteries and SIM cards numerous times. Both phones

have had hard resets done. I have called customer service twice or maybe

even three times and every time they have verified the areas we are in

have great coverage. We had no problems with our Blackberries so we know

it is not a coverage issue, it is the phone, plain and simple.

My husband and I both want to upgrade to better phones and go ahead and

renew our contract with Verizon, I have asked what we can do about getting

new phones and signing a new contract now instead of waiting until

January, but I've been told we have to wait, unless we have upwards of

$500.00 to pay for new phones and we just cannot do that. As of right now

if something doesn't give we will be going with a different carrier come

January, this problem has been going on for months and all we have been

told is take the battery out, SIM card, hard reset,,,etc,,etc. Not one

time has anyone offered any real assistance, just the same old answers

given to all your customers, but that isn't what I consider customer

service.

Somebody should be able to make an exception when the problem is this bad.

Somebody should be willing to go the extra mile to help us out, but

apparently, that isn't going to happen.

Thank you,

Betty

<< Personal information removed to comply with .  Please remove signature before posting! >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the update kvnsgirl and I understand that it is frustrating to have these issues with your phone. We wouldn't be able to move the upgrade earlier than January, but we can certainly review other options. After completing the hard resets, were the same applications re-installed right away? Please also clear cache from the applications (including Messages, Phone Dialer, etc) that this is affecting http://vz.to/1b7QfW7. We also have a device payment plan that allows you to spread the retail price of the phone over 12 months.

Marquia_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

Ignore Verizon.  I'm betting you're in the same boat as me and you're only getting offers to help now, around the time your contract is up.  I'm with you on that one.  I'm joining AT&T (need to move to a GSM phone for international travel).  Good luck with Sprint! 

0 Likes
boobdole
Contributor - Level 2

Good choice.  I'm jumping ship to AT&T as well.  For a premium flagship phone, they sure ignored and turned their back on it pretty quick.  Good riddance, Verizon. 

0 Likes