Re: Droid Bionic ICS update????
joepeace55

Now this might be a stupid thing to say from a consumer point of view, but I will never go to a shared data plan with verizon.  Even if I have to pay more to another carrier.  While verizon has the largest 4g LTE prescence and I guess somebody has to pay for the infrastructure, it will not be me.  I have been a loyal VZW customer, never had another carrier and I feel that they have mistreated me and everyone else who was encouraged to buy this could have been great phone that can only use one of its 2 processors.  Imagin buying a car and it only runs on half the cylinders.  Would the car manufacturer be allowed to get away with it, especially if their sales people were telling you that there would be a recall to fix that issue and it never happened?  There would be a class action suit.  I guess VZW technically does not have any real liability here. 

Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware

0 Likes
VAPatriot
Enthusiast - Level 2

I used to live (stationed) in Europe where people buy cell phones from their local electronics retailer.  Since these phones work on all carrier networks (unlocked), there are no contracts and their prices are equivalent to what you would pay for a two year contract phone here.  These phones are also made by prominent manufacturers too such as Motorola, Samsung, Sony/Ericsson, Nokia, LG, etc...   Then you choose your carrier (SIM card), usually by some flat rate monthly fee that doesn't calculate minutes or data usage, unless you're calling internationally. And both manufacturers and providers are fiercely competing for your business. 

So when you have long term contracts and service providers selling only proprietary phones locked on their network, that takes a lot of the competition, and customer loyalty, out of the picture.   Just my $.02

0 Likes
carvava
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been with them over 10 years and I am finally fed up.  I am looking at options. I am still on an unlimited plan.  I rarely go above 4gb a month.  So the new tiered plans would cost me more. I am even considering a prepay phone.

Like you, I travel less.  Verizon does care very little about existing customers, that is obvious on the phone and in stores.

0 Likes
VAPatriot
Enthusiast - Level 2

The latest from Motorola.  At least they're willing to publicly address the issue.

From Mr Soni's Google+ page

Punit SoniOct 9, 2012

+20

1. I think I mentioned the plan for Bionic. It will be released in Q4. We have most of the work done, but an upgrade is a partnership between multiple companies, and there are processes which are outside of our control (many of them to ensure you get a stable release). This makes giving exact dates difficult if not plain impossible.

2. We should have details of the rebate program soon and that should hopefully put to rest any speculation on who qualifies etc.

3. Finally, as you can see (hopefully), I am really trying hard to keep the communication lines open between us. Its not about commenting only on positive comments etc. We are just cautious to react to things where we are still gathering info, making decisions. We are going to commit to things very deliberately henceforth because when we do, we are going to make it happen no matter what. At least that's what the future will be like.

- 1.) Validates that the partnership rests with the carrier as they're the ones that have specific bloatware they need to put on their phones.  That in itself can destabilize a stable system.  Its also up to VZW if they want to push this so late in it's life, and so close to the holiday release of new phones.

- 2.) It sounds like the powers to be at Motorola are gearing up with their rebate program knowing that many phones won't get the Jelly Bean upgrade as originally marketed...not promised. 

-3.) At least someone from Motorola is willing to speak up on this issue.  VZW has been very consistent in ignoring its "vauled customers".

0 Likes
joepeace55

Since this is coming to our Bionics almost a YEAR after it was eluded to,

I work for a service organization who prides itself on customer service,

and if I were a party in this debacle, I would reward these loyal customers

by these actions.

1. Motorola, give a new "hot" phone Like razor HD to each of us involved.

2. Verizon, if they need to be pricks about it, allow us to keep our

existing contracts but extend them for 2 years. This will make us commit

to gioving them revenue for 2 mor years with a cancellation fee due if we

leave - good for vzw. (VZW, probably should cover the cost of the phone

jointly with Moto.) this way there won't even need to be ICS for bionic.

If this happenned, I would be placing words of praise for thes to companies

on this blog.

0 Likes
joepeace55

Actually, even though moto's new vp, or whatever he is, acknowledges that

we got a "raw deal", No one wants to take the responsibility for this. I

think it is both parties, but more on vzw's part

0 Likes
TheGord
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just as an FYI to everyone here... Looks like ICS is going to be pushing out to the Bionic soon! 

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/18/droid-bionic-and-lg-lucid-to-receive-ice-cream-sandwich-ota-...

FWH
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to the "Wireless Rep" at Costco, she said that the ICS update will cure all our problems the Bionic has with 4G LTE signal losses. I sure hope she is correct. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
carvava
Enthusiast - Level 2

My issues have been resolved and resolved well!

My BIONIC was replaced with the RAZR MAXX.  I am not in a new contract and I am still in my unlimited plan. Everything is running great now and I am happy it all turned out well.

IMO, After speaking with Verizon, ICS is NOT coming to the BIONIC.

0 Likes
joepeace55

I put 232l leak on my bionic and it was a significant improvement. It does

however stick once in a while, but I would expect that from pre-release

software

0 Likes