Re: Two questions, trying to pick up free wireless....
JB21386
Contributor - Level 1

andreah1 wrote:

The router situation I'm only looking for at home and don't want to spend 200 bucks for that as I really don't need anything that great, do you think a cheap netgear mobile broadband router will work well enough?  We're talking mainly sitting on the couch with the netbook and not having to drag the dongle along with me.  If I got the mifi it would replace the dongle, I don't want both.  BUT, like I said, the mifi wouldn't work for me because I need to be able to put an external antenna (the one I have is about 2 ft. tall) on it.   So, what if I got a netgear mobile broadband router, kept my dongle (as the main connection) and used the netbook in the living room (it has a wireless card so I could recognize the router, right?)...would that work?  Boy, I'm feeling pretty darn brainless at this point, ha ha!!!!

I do still plan on looking for a "n" external wireless usb adaptor that I could use at work to hopefully pick up the free wireless...

I did not know netgear makes a 3G broadband router, so I am not sure how that would work out. As far as the an having to have an external antenna, is that because you don't get good cell reception in your house?

A wireless "n" external adapter is only going to help if they are also running wireless n. Both the wireless AP ( the thing you connect to) and your wireless adapter have to have N in order to see the speed difference. I would buy one that does both wireless G and N, that was you are covered no matter what.

0 Likes