Re: Dropped connections and mysterious data usage
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thanks for the attachment. 

I can see what you are saying when you mention usage around 4:00 AM.  It is peculiar how consistent some of your timestamps are through out the billing cycle.  Each timestamp marks the END of a particular data session which means that, if your log is showing activity at 4:00 AM, something may have been leaking data before that and then stopped at that time.

Your early morning activity is accounting for a small percentage of your overall usage.  This combined with how consistent it has been between 12/25 and 12/31 gives the impression there was something left online and chatting with the internet.  This is normally the behavior of automatic updates and backup software, scheduled to check in at late hours when the machine is assumed to be unmanned to perform regular maintenance.  Whatever was searching for updates may have been failing.  It continued to try again around the same time until it was able to complete whatever it needed.  My guess is that it received its update around 12/31 and will not appear back on your data logs until next month at that time.

If your HF router or antenna was truly powered off at all of these times then I have no explanation for you.  It is not possible for a VZW device to consume data while powered off.  Updates to the VZW firmware that are automatically downloaded to the router should not be held against your bill either.  There has to be something else at play or a billing mistake.

What you might want to do from here is enable the connection logging feature on your HF Router.  The logging feature on the router should show when the HFRouter is powered on and off as well as the connected devices at those times.  If you can continue to capture these data usage events and tie them in with the connection logs from the router then you would have a solid case to go to VZW for a better explanation. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes