Questions about the netbook.....
georgiaredd09

I recently seen that the gateway netbook is on sale for 29.99 until Monday. I was interested in buying one, but I have a few lingering questions.

1. What is the difference between a laptop and a netbook

2. Is paying 59.99 too much for internet service

3. What are the pros and cons of buying a netbook over a laptop

4. Should I just wait and shell out 200-400 for a laptop and pay for cheaper internet service

5. Can I play a movie, download music, or play games (like the Sims) on a netbook (I know I need to get a separate driver for it.)

I am in the military and I always wanted a laptop, but due to other obligations, getting a laptop is not in my budget right now...plus I am always on the go. Which will be beneficial in the long run??? I am happy for any feedback. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Questions about the netbook.....
scr

Can't really answer your questions as I do not have one... yet.

Where did you see a Netbook for $29.99 I'll run over NOW and grab one at that price and let you know how it works.:smileywink:

0 Likes
georgiaredd09

Verizon has it on their website under the netbook section. Its the Gateway one. Its only good until Monday though. So I am trying to do as much research as possible before I make a decision.

0 Likes
georgiaredd09

Its the gateway one...under the netbook section on Verizon's website. It runs till Monday I think.

0 Likes
scr

Ahhh yes...  Drat...:smileymad: it's for new customers only and I signed up a month and a half ago.

Looks to be a nice little netbook, nice size HD, a gig of memory and 1.6 GHz processor. For $29.99 can't see how you can go wrong.  You can always get a stronger Laptop computer later.

As to the $59.99 a month, it depends on how much you plan to be on line. It's capped at 5 gigs a month, then it gets expensive if you go over that. For some that's not enough however, for me it's fine.  I gave all the other possibilities consideration but as a full time RVer I couldn't find anything better then Verizon. Sure wish I had waited a month and half though :smileysad:

0 Likes
cnotp1

A netbook is smaller than a laptop so it is easier to carry it around.Go to Best Buy,Staples or Office Max,buy a netbook and subscribe to a internet service,would be much better for you since you are always on the go and no time to check to see if you have gone over 5gb or not.So Verizon broadband is a ripoff on the $59.95 a month plan.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have never owned a netbook, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.  My daughter has a netbook and it is fine for internet access, if that is your primary use for it.  I'm not sure it is a good alternative for actual computer applications.  I guess it's a moot point if you can't afford a laptop, you might as well get the netbook.  As someone said, you can always get a full blown computer later.  Verizon wireless has the best coverage of any of the mobile broadband providers as far as I know.  I believe most, if not all providers have the 5 GB caps.  That's enough for moderate internet usage by one person, but not enough for downloading movies and music, etc.  If you need mobile broadband, I think Verizon is as good or better than any other.  However, if you don't need mobile, then cable is best and DSL is next.  Is it worth $60?  That depends on your budget and what else is competing for your dollars.

0 Likes
Deamorei
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just following Verizon links to be able to reply to you used 2.1MB of data. About a minute of web surfing. Just for reference sake if you divide 5GB of data over 30 days you are allowed.166.6MB a day which is a ridiculously small amount of data even for casual use. My bill when all surcharges are added up is almost $66.00 per month not $59.99. I just wish the wireless companies would say we are very fast but don't use us much on there TV ads.

Netbooks are just a beefed up version of a web phone if you ask me with a bigger screen. I can't for the life of me think why anybody would want web service other then maybe email on a phone. These lovely prices you see for phones and netbooks from companies like Verizon are only cheap because its their ploy to get us locked into a 2 year plan which is where we get raked. Now a congressman is pushing a bill through congress to stop wireless or broadband companies in general and there outlandish early termination fees.

From a performance standpoint. I was walking through Wal-mart the other days and i seen decent laptops under 300 bucks. Laptops that would blow the socks off my Gateway i bought over 5 years ago for about $1200.00. Personally speaking i don't see netbooks lasting. Only time will tell. Now you said you can't afford a laptop yet you have a Blackberry account which isn't cheap and are considering another 60 bucks on top of that? Netbooks are not gaming machines. Sims actually is pretty system demanding. /salute and good luck.

0 Likes
georgiaredd09

Oh no I got the storm as part of that "buy one get one free" promotion....my wife bought one and she gave me the free one. I didn't pay for that outta pocket and I wouldn't have. Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.

0 Likes
Jagger-VzW
Contributor - Level 2

A netbook is a min-laptop, but typically is only used to access the Internet.  Now don't get me wrong, some people use them for more, but if you want/need more... I highly suggest buying a laptop for another few hundred dollars and then getting an aircard or activating the internal modem aircards that most already have installed.

$59.99 gives you Internet access across the country... not bad if you need it while just about anywhere in America, but you'll need to make that decision.

Netbooks smaller, cute, but lack the computing power and memory of a standard laptop...

Not sure where/how you want to use your laptop?  If other than the Internet from Anywhere, I suggest a Laptop.

Yes, you can ....

0 Likes