Re: Vlingo on Storm 1
DreadPirateJeff

I have Vlingo on my Storm 1.  Got it on the old OS and it worked great.  Upgraded to OS 5.0 and it stopped working.  Picked up the latest Vlingo update the other day (has support for OS 5.0 now) and it again works great.

Vlingo is cool, especially if you do a lot of texting or e-mail... but you really need to pay for the Pro version as the free version limits what you can do to mostly searching google/yahoo, sending twitter and facebook updates, and unlimited voice texts to other registered vlingo users... the pro lets you dictate sms and e-mail to anyone, and more.

It takes a bit to get going... the config is fairly easy, but it's not incredibly accurate until after you've used it a while.  They were serious when they said that it learns your speech patterns and improves accuracy over time.  The more you use it, the better it becomes at translating what you say into text.

It's pretty cool, and definitely one of my favorite BB apps.

As for Viigo, I tried that, and the memory leaks were HORRIBLE.  I haven't tried it recently though, so maybe I'll pull it down again and try it out. All I really wanted was a usable RSS reader without having to use Google Mobile.  Viigo was bigger than what I wanted, and the UI is a bit clunky (especially if you use the Craigslist Search feature) and I also found it took forever to update or didn't update things like Sports Live Scores and so forth, but at least for reading RSS feeds and such, it worked well.

As I said though, about Viigo, the version I tried a few months ago on the older Storm OS had horrible memory leak issues, and I have not re-installed and tried it since I upgraded to 5.0 and new versions of Viigo have been released.

Cheers

Jeff

0 Likes