Upgrading to 5.0 device software
Stormfreak

I am trying to upgrade from 4.7 to 5.0 device software over the web and when I click on check for updates nothing happens. Could someone tell me why this might be happening.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Upgrading to 5.0 device software
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Try downloading the OS from the VW site to your desktop.  After download run it which will install it on your computer. Then goto program files>common files>research in motion>app loader.  Look for the exe icon (one with phone) and click on it. This should start the install.

0 Likes
Stormfreak

Did everything exactly the way you said but when I get to apploader there is no exe icon.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Stormfreak wrote:

Did everything exactly the way you said but when I get to apploader there is no exe icon.

The full name is loader.exe .  Sorry I wasn't real clear on that. 

0 Likes
Stormfreak

I still cannot find loader.exe did a file search and it did not find it

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Stormfreak wrote:

I still cannot find loader.exe did a file search and it did not find it

Make sure you are going into the Research In Motion folder in the Common Files folder.  There is a second one on mine under programs I believe installed by desktop manager.

0 Likes
LOWFLYER
Contributor - Level 2

I personally don't recommend doing OTA upgrades, especially if you haven't backed up your handset.  I'm curious as to why you are not using the desktop manager to update your phone as this is the safest and easiest way to go about it.....???

0 Likes
Stormfreak

When I try to use desktop manager to do the upgrade when I click on  update software  it gives me a message that says

"A Fatal Error has occurred while trying to update your software. Please try again." I have tried at least 15-20 times. Same Message every time. I even did a clean uninstall of my desktop manager software and reinstalled it 2 times and still the same problem. If anyone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it please tell me how.

0 Likes
SFObrien
Contributor - Level 3

Stormfreak wrote:

When I try to use desktop manager to do the upgrade when I click on  update software  it gives me a message that says

"A Fatal Error has occurred while trying to update your software. Please try again." I have tried at least 15-20 times. Same Message every time. I even did a clean uninstall of my desktop manager software and reinstalled it 2 times and still the same problem. If anyone else has had this problem and knows how to fix it please tell me how.

If you have a second computer try downloading the software to it and see if it works there.  You can go to a VW store and have it done I think, maybe one of the VW folks can verify this.

I'm still at a loss why you don't have the loader file after downloading the software to your PC????????

0 Likes
StreetDocRN
Champion - Level 1

Hi,

I just want to go over a couple of things to make sure you have everything you need for the update for your Storm.  First, on your PC, you should have loaded the Blackberry Desktop Manager.  Next, you will need the OS 5 upgrade file for your Storm which can be downloaded from from Verizon at http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx?ct=personal.  You will need to click on the file you download from Verizon and it will install and integrate with the Blackberry Desktop Manager.  Then, you connect you should back up your device before you do anything else.  Then connect through Blackberry Desktop Manager with the OS integrated, you will begin the installation of the update.  If it does not work after doing the above, you need to try upgrading from a different computer.  As the previous person suggested, maybe one of the local Verizon stores would be able to do this for you, especially if you bought the phone from that particular store.

Doc

0 Likes